A light weight Idea

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

A light weight Idea

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:29 pm

Has anyone heard of or used coroplast. It is a very durable corogated plastic that comes in 4x8 sheets ( it may come in larger sheets) and many colors. Its primary use is for outdoor signs but I have used it for RC air planes and even used it on hunting blinds. I have even heard of people making boats with it. it comes in 2, 4, and 10 mil thick. I think it might be an option for a built up wall with hard foam insulation and wood studs. or maybe a bike teardrop. well just an idea.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby Chip » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:36 pm

Jakob do you have a web site for them,,thanks

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:41 pm

I have a sheet of coro left over from an idea for a tail box for a recumbent bicycle (one of my other vices).... I thought about using it for the interior ceiling, as it is maliable.... but decided it was too wimpy... and went with 1/8" ply... Coro is tough to glue, also not very structural when the rubber meets the road... I'd stick with ply.. I"m not saying it can't be done, but unless you are very forgiving, I don't thing you will be happy with the results.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Re: A light weight Idea

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:41 pm

TRAIL-OF-TEARS wrote:Has anyone heard of or used coroplast. It is a very durable corogated plastic that comes in 4x8 sheets

Coroplast... that's for el-cheapo RC fighter planes that you intend to shoot down. I suppose you could build a shell out of the stuff... but what would be the advantage, besides weight?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Woody » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:30 pm

Doesn't that stuff distort with heat. I remember someone on another site had a discussion about this and I am pretty sure that was stopped them from using it. and the UV rating was not that good it had a tendency to oxidize with time and became brittle if I remember right

Woody
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:03 pm

We have parts shipped in boxes made of the stuff. They use that stuff because corrugated cardboard would not go over too well in the cleanroom.

It looks as if the corrugations are running in the wrong direction. You would need it to be on it's end to serve as a good laminated panel. If you could get a sheet and cut it into 1/2 inch strips and then glue those together, then that would make a good core. With the corruagtions running lengthwise, it will have poor crush resistance. One of the cells may collapse when the laminated panel experiences a bending load.

I'm not saying it won't work, if you strategically place the "grain" you may be able to get it to work. The adhesion will be another problem to tackle.

http://www.coroplast.com/

http://www.dickblick.com/zz132/00/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=6020

Just my 2 cents
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:29 am

sorry I have not responded sooner, I have been out of town. if you prep the coroplast right CA clue works well. you would first need to flash it (run a flame from a propane torch over the area to be glued.) then use small dots of glue. Yes this is the cheap airplane building material. we use this stuff on airplanes because it is very durable you can crash several times and have no damage. I built a 4x4x6 hunting blind out of the stuff about 6 years ago and it seems to be holding up very well to the weather. Granted I am not dragging the thing down the hi-way at 65 mph. but I have been in it during some heavy rain, hail, wind and it held up very well. I have lots of this stuff around a bunch of old " vote for ..." signs I might try it, if it fails well at least it would make a good pattern for a plywood tear. thanks for the responses. Just trying to think outside the box maybe too far out. :P
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques