The" Airliner"...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:44 pm

Whoa!!! a flying buddy loaned me some back issues (way back,1936) of "Mechanics and Handicraft"(several original TD articles , and not one has a kitchen...or back hatch ... sleeper only .. I'll have to scan these and pass them along to Big Mike ... :thumbsup: cost to build $90.00(1936) :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:43 am

bobhenry wrote:
Miriam C. wrote:
I moked it up yesterday and yes Virginia you can get 10' of countertop in a 5'6" wide teardrop.

Yep, a chain saw will do it every time.

Ya'll need a refresher in :pictures:

Still in the old 35mm I'll get them in the album a.s.a.p.

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=22592
This is mocked up in osb will be a little fancier but I wanted to see it work before I spent $$$ so here it is the 10" of countertop in a 5'6" teardrop.
Cabinets are hinged to the sides and swing out the oversized pantry door drops down to add additional counter top. Void at the top will be for electrical area , speakers and lights :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:56 am

Looks like the Airliner as we had planned and started has been put on the back burner again ... this time in favor of an even bigger hurricane evacuation Bugout... We are consulting the standy' thread from Big Mike and will be building the best ideas that all there can generate....Perhaps we'll end up building an even Bigger Airliner... schmaybe' up to 20' long and 78" wide... room for real cockpit windows and multiple portholes...a nice paintjob and it will look cool ... just like the little one...

As far as that fold out kitchen goes, pretty nice , but complicated and heavy for what all it does... simple slim cabinets and a folding table will do the same thing for much less weight and expense... Oh yes, I'm ALWAYS worried about expense.... or I'd just buy an Airstream and an Escalade to pull it and be done with .. 8)

It has been suggested that my friend "G"will buy the smaller airliner trailer and parts I've already finished and we'll build the smaller airliner , so he can evacuate too.. been building so much lately , might as well go to work for Mad Jack ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:34 am

Yes , it's been confirmed , the Airliner will be built soon , but for somebody else... :o The new owner insists like it be built like the plans I showed him...and with the Airline paintjob... will be used to haul model airplanes to contests around the country, and camp out at those events... and hurricane evacuation... Makes sense.... he has a vintage Mustang to pull it ..
So glad to be able to see this project thru to completion... excess materials and trailers everywhere blocking access to my workshop... At least someone will have FUN with it...unfortunately , the "BOSS Lady" has decreed that a much larger travel trailer is the "new official plan" ... now I'm stuck with the Big bugout... " she "wants me to sell it ...:cry:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:12 am

:o Goodness GPW, I can certainly understand your mixed feelings. Mike is already decided he would rather go small. :roll:

Enjoy building the biggy and keep the little one for this year. 8) Maybe she'll forget about it. :lol: ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:14 am

Miri ... the Boss lady always seems to go the opposite of Logic and more towards Luxury/Opulence ...She feels like an old cow... "Time to stop, and eat the roses".... :roll:

hurricane evacuation was a great learning experience for a lot of us, now everybody knows , not to just bring stuff for three days , then go home .... nope, don't work... we were on the road for five weeks with three days of stuff and no "mini home ".... Love these tiny trailers... the old ball and chain , well , she thinks differently... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jdarkoregon » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:08 pm

GPW,

Are you sure you want to build something that big, with the time, money and effort you're going to put into it, I'd just go buy something and keep fiddling with the Airliner, if only just for fun. Keep your boss happy, and you still get to work on something creative. What about a T@B, has she seen one of them?

Its time for you two to take some road trips and see all the possibilities

Just my thoughts :thinking:

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:17 am

Since "her worship" has the power job , I have little to say about the bigger investments ... Old retired guy just goes along with the program.... :D

" Herself ", was telling me about folks "just not getting it " when it comes to this hurricane thing ... It's not like a fun TD get together at the park .... this was camping out with a million other people... all competing for resources... some not behaving in a civilized manner,some trying to make a quick buck off others misfortune/lack of planning... all with the possibility that all your favorite stuff , and everything else will be swept away (happened to most of N.O.).. Different type of camping ... having your **** together makes a huge difference in the "STRESS" level ...

The Airliner will be built ... got the Coupler at the Wal-Mart ... 5 bucks cheaper than the same thing(same brand & #) at the Hdwe. store...now to do some metal work ... :D Cut and weld... Then the trailer will be picked up by the new owner for refurbishment of the mechanical parts... while I make the floor from wood I have lying around from the Big Bugout build which seemed to leave much waste(scrap) enough for most of the Airliner , except the sides...Thinking of going with 1/2" SIDES AND SOME MINIMAL FRAMING TO MAKE ASSEMBLY EASIER/LIGHTER :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:21 am

With the ensuing cooler weather , the Airliner is back on the build list...with all the new information we've gleaned from the forum , the job will be much more enjoyable now.. Pics will follow... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:33 am

Materials have been gathered, tools /welding all lined up...My helper/new owner has some time off from work this week , so the build begins.... great chance to try out all those space saving ideas from the drawings...Should be a quick build ,we'll be sure to take pics for MJ.... painting will take much longer...Weather is perfect , we got Coffee and fermented beverages...It's dark , and we're wearing Sunglasses... Hit it !!!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:41 am

Gosh!!! I can't believe how some projects can get delayed.... Done NOTHING on the Airliner... :thumbdown: Things just happened ... well anyway , we're trying to re-schedule EVERYTHING ... Got the materials (mostly) .. got the trailer ... got the MONEY !!! Now if the weather cooperates...

Goals are still the same ... KISS... light is a must since it'll be towed by a newly restored 90's Mustang with a smallish V6...Cool paint job !!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:31 pm

I couldn't find the Mustang in your album... :cry:

Mike...

GPW wrote: 90's Mustang with a smallish V6...Cool paint job !!! :D
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:11 pm

Kinda late chiming in – Our first camper – the Tiny Trailer (see hall of Fame Starleen2 tiny trailer) had a rear overhang. I thought it a cool idea. It made a good shelf to put things on while setting up. It certainly protected the rear door from the weather. However there was one drawback – I am six feet tall and kept bumping my head on the overhang getting in and out! ~Good building success on you design
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby GPW » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:55 am

No , the Mustang is not mine ... I'm building the Airliner for a good friend , so I can get rid of the trailer I have now blocking the way of building a bigger Generic ET...Airliner is merely a warm -up for the bigger project ...You might say a "commission"... :o Pics will be provided as usual...

Not to worry , the new owner is not as tall as the trailer overhang ... :)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques