The" Airliner"...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Mightydog » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:31 am

GPW wrote:.....I googled my butt off trying to find software ....

GFL* with that particular Google.

We updated Mrs. Dog's iMac a few months ago. Now I need to do some creative ransacking to find where those updater disks got stored for safe keeping.

*Good Freakin' Luck
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:32 am

MightyDog ... I really appreciate the Help... trying to nurse my 10 year old Macs into a little more usefulness.... just like me ...hahahahaa
I have , what I believe, is a really simple layout and have come across a method of joining sides crosspieces with a tenon (store bought).. looks pretty easy and strong ... Plus the LNHDCA too ??? Gotta' be strong ... Pics when available ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:23 am

Imagine if you will , joining the crossmembers to the sides using for example , a 2"x2" xmember... How easy would it be to drill say a 1" hole in both the ply and the ends of the Xmember, and use a dowell as a tenon .... pretty easy , and certainly stronger then a couple screws ...That and the LNHDCA should make it STRONG, eh ???? :thinking: :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:37 am

TAH DAA!!! Thanks to Mighty Dog , we're back in the scanning capability ... I'll get my drawings together and post asap ... I can feel the building season coming soon...Got my stuff , and an indoor area to work (A/C)... I'm ready ... :)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:38 am

Here's the side plan that I'm going to use .... tried all sort of nose shapes , this was most pleasing /aerodynamic...and still gives me almost 8' of trailer floor length...Image

Have the plans for the Floor/Frame that allows me to use the 48" ply on a 54" floor ...Will post asap ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jimqpublic » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:42 pm

I really like this design. The cargo net up front is a great idea. I especially like the side-mounted kitchen shelves. The kitchen layout would let you make breakfast while still cuddled up in your sleeping bag.

A few suggestions- while I like the rear overhang, I'm going to suggest eliminating it:

-Headache! Unless you have 2+ feet of ground clearance that thing is going to be in the way.

- How about just a tiny overhang- maybe 4". This would give a bit of detail instead of a harsh squareback and still provide some weather protection to the rear doors. A neighbor had a "Cardinal" tiny trailer with such a rear and I think the little swoop added a lot.

-Now how about a pair of swing out barn doors instead of a hatch. You could have shelves/cabinets on the inside that would then be accessible from the inside when the doors are closed or outside when they're swung out. They wouldn't impede using it as a utility trailer either. If you give about 4" of clearance above the doors then you would have space for a roll-up awning. The doors could also have flip-up countertops for more work area when opened.

Jim
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby jay » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:27 pm

please make the side door cut out parallel the roofline!
jay
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:12 am

Jim , Thanks for the suggestions... I think you're right about the overhang being so large , but as you stated, it does need some rear "detail" ... just for looks and to make the rear door(s) more weatherproof , especially at the top ... Yes , a simple awning would be COOL !! Perfect place for it above the door .. eh ???
My rear door will have the "spice rack " that I've been saving from the trash for 20 years ... and a fold down table , when the rear shelf if moved to the side (fits easily against the wall ) Being LARGE (6'3"/235lbs.) I need all the space I can fit into a small 8' trailer...

Jay , the idea is... you can make any kind of door / hatch / porthole / access that you want ... This shape was easy (compass) and worked on the Big Evacuation trailer (Bugout !!!) Your choice , just mind your structure and cuts...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:50 am

Here's a drawing of the floor frame that allows me to use all my 4'x4' Wide 3/4"ply scraps left over from the Bugout... Image

After all it will be bolted to the steel crossmembers of the trailer ... :roll:
Sorry about the post , that 's the only way I could get it to fit ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mightydog » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:25 pm

I put my monitor over in the side and it looks just fine.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:16 am

Mighty Dog ... As you see , things are up and running , Thanks to you ...but I'm still learning to work it all ... that my take some time ...hahahaha

I was talking to the Boss lady , telling her how all I had to buy was two sheets of ply to build the Airliner...with all the scraps/trailer /etc. that I have left over from #1... I might have exaggerated a little , but a quick check of the Garage /Studio/Hanger produced an amazing array of parts ... even lights ...I'm READY ... now if we have a little cooler weather...still getting into the 90's here... 8)

I'm ready to ink the top and rear views , will post asap ...

Any changes / opinions /ideas /warnings will be gratiously appreciated...and besides , with a few more brains in this project , we might come up with something really unique and wonderfull ...who knows ??? :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:28 am

Starting Phase one .... spent a few minutes head scratching /looking at the trailer ... First decision is : whether to unbolt the tongue main tube from the tilt device where it joins at the A frame ... cut it down leaving the coupler...and bolting it on at the new shorter length .... or just cutting the tube infront of the tilt (in front of the A frame ) and just welding /bolting on another coupler ... ??? Decisions , decisions ... ???!!! :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:27 am

My flying buddy G' saw my TD and totally "flipped out".... looks like this build will be a double ceremony ....2 at once ... this sounds efficient ... but foolish ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:27 am

Here's a pic of "the trailer"... Got it for 50 bucks cash ...The boat stuff is all bolted on so no problem removing same ... Galvanized, so no rust on the frame ... I'll check all the bearings , springs, etc. BEFORE I put the cabin on .... this time ...!!! You can see where a cut just infront of the V and a new coupler , would be perfect for the Airliner.... and much smaller than that other brute, the Bugout .... can't beat the price Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:13 am

:applause: Maybe someof us need a trip to LA to get some boat trailers. 8) :twisted: That will make a sharp TD and room for a front box.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques