The" Airliner"...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:54 am

Shakedown cruise/test of our cheepo used boat trailer showed some bearing issues ... once taken care of , we'll be able to add the floor we've built ...trailer is 54" wide so the floor has been designed to use regular ply and a 1"x6" frame to support/extend the width .. Strong , and with the framework , I could use lighter ply .... but all I have is 3/4" ,so that's what will be the floor ... :)
This is going to be a much simpler build than the last Big One ... Going to use the plans we've posted here...have thoroughly thought over the process and haven't been able to come up with any better "improvements "...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:06 pm

Glenn, all we need now, is to see the real thing, take shape......................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:40 am

MJ, I've adopted the philosophy of the learned members here... taking my time , enjoying every aspect of the build...Now that the Big TD has relieved my hurricane evacuation worries , I'm building this one just for FUN :D

Glad to hear from you , how are things going at Gatortears???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:43 am

I guess you could we are in "semi" existence...do have a new build going, if I could just free up enough time to work onit....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue May 15, 2007 6:56 am

Hurricane preparations (ya' never know) have kept me from making any progress on the Airliner, but we managed to repaint the 12' x6' Big Bugout TD... and it's READY !!!! Gotta' love these TD's in time of need... got my solar cooker working and ready to evacuate/camp out ... hope we only have to use it for FUN stuff ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 25, 2007 7:14 am

Been reading a lot here , some have mentioned that they do not have an unlimited supply of the green stuff to build a TD... I know , some of you have built "works of Art"... real Beauties!!!!...but being a more a Fun per Buck kinda' guy , I'd like to discuss the "Thrifty" method of TD building ...
First, we paid 50.00 bucks for a used boat trailer , galvanized , in good shape ... even good bearings and tires... shop around , don't be in a hurry.
Second , we've been collecting bits of ply and everything else that's TD applicable...paint ,fglass,foam,fixtures,etc. Keep your eyes open ... anything's likely to turn up...
We've even contacted the lady down the street with the abandoned Kustom van and she said" Take what you want !!!" There's the TD windows and who knows what else??? For free and in great shape.
My Big Bugout cost me almost 3 large to completely finish/equip... Very reasonable considering it's intended purpose ... This one is for FUN and I'm trying to keep it as Frugal as possible ... The only way I can justify another TD to "her worship" is if she doesn't notice how much money I'm spending on it ....she's already said 'Why do we need another trailer???".. I told her "Baby, it's just something I gotta' do !!!"
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 25, 2007 7:28 am

GPW wrote:I'm trying to keep it as Frugal as possible ... ".. "Baby, it's just something I gotta' do !!!"

God that sound so familiar. I have my frame built , the floor down ,one side up ,one door with window installed and front and galley bulkheads built. Expendature to date $96.00. I get so frustrated when I hear someone bemoaning the fact that his aluminum skin ONLY cost 3 gazilloin dollars!
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GPW » Mon May 28, 2007 6:57 am

Bob, I hear ya'!!! It s so gratifying to be able to complete a project without having to go begging to the bank ... and any recycling effort really helps the planet ... and our wallets too ... Buy "scrounging" parts , We're actually able to be picky and get better stuff than used on #1.. for free or almost so..Not in such a rush now either , so we can cut and fit much more precisely, enjoy the build ..much better job all around... ;)

This TD is just so much easier that the traditional model ...that rear door makes it EASY , and will save so much time/weight/hassles..and give me even more room in the kitchen ... where everybody hangs out anyway, waiting for my cooking ...

had a crazy idea of skinning a TD with pieces of Alum. SHEET...cut from soda cans (or beer) attached like scales ,OVERLAPPED like shingles .. different ,Green... CHEAP ... :D

The quality is quickly forgotten when you spend your TD money for Beer...hahahahahaha sorry Mike !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 30, 2007 10:30 am

Ya want a real hoot. Answered a newspaper add 2 weeks ago for 4' x 10' plastic sheets. Drove about 20 miles and found the guy he has 30 +/- sheets of low light uv brounze 1/4" lexan at a price of 6 4x10 sheets for $50.00 Thats about 21 cents a SQ FT. They were large commercial sky lights off of a building that was torn down. Toying with roof and maybe sides as my final finish. Recycling is great AND CHEAP !!! :)
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Arne » Wed May 30, 2007 12:50 pm

Isn't that stuff pretty heavy?

I have a 6" x 8' scrap piece I use as a straight edge I bummed off a guy doing a commercial job... 15 years old and still going strong...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby GPW » Thu May 31, 2007 6:49 am

Maybe a silly idea , but sides and top OF Lexan ... isn't that the bullet proof stuff ??? Like camping in a skylight , no sleeping late ... :)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:59 am

GPW wrote:Maybe a silly idea , but sides and top OF Lexan ... isn't that the bullet proof stuff ??? Like camping in a skylight , no sleeping late ... :)

Ya just can't get undressed with the lights on !
Seriously ~~ It's just gonna be the outside exterior treatment for solid walls behind it. I will attach it with rosettes in a 18" to 2' grid. Looks like a 2 foot deep wax job when it's on.
Hell this whole build is just a big lab experiment. Any fool can read instructions it take a real fool like me to throw them away and wing it.

Speaking of winging it !

P.s. As I bragged elsewhere today ~~ my fold out " U " shaped kitchen works!!!
I moked it up yesterday and yes Virginia you can get 10' of countertop in a 5'6" wide teardrop.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:17 am

Arne wrote:Isn't that stuff pretty heavy?

I have a 6" x 8' scrap piece I use as a straight edge I bummed off a guy doing a commercial job... 15 years old and still going strong...

Yep!
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:08 am

I moked it up yesterday and yes Virginia you can get 10' of countertop in a 5'6" wide teardrop.

Yep, a chain saw will do it every time.

Ya'll need a refresher in :pictures:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:23 pm

Miriam C. wrote:

Yep, a chain saw will do it every time.

Ya'll need a refresher in :pictures:

Still in the old 35mm I'll get them in the album a.s.a.p.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques