The" Airliner"...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:30 pm

M... the area is awash in trailers ... all the boats got swept away ... leaving trailers that nobody wants ... Nice stuff too , and with a little clean-UP perfect for our applications .... and the price is right too for a quality trailer...

front box and a bicycle rack ...

Got the floorplan done ... here's my attempt at getting it here...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:53 am

Here's a drawing for the twin rear doors .... schmaybe ' a bit more convenient than a single WIDE door ... Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Arne » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:23 am

I like the double door better. If you open them 90 degrees, under the overhang, you get sun, wind, weather protection.

You could include a fold down counter top, put shelves in the doors for light-weight items, like paper plates, etc.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:50 am

:applause: I like the double doors too. A removable shelf might be a pain. Waiting for the wood pictures. :D
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Jay VT » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:21 pm

How about an awning that conects to the roof and uses the doors for support. :thinking:
Jay VT
Jay VT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:15 am

Arne ... You were right , the double doors are a better idea and I'm still able to build onto them for "incidental storage ex post facto "...The removeable shelf on the plans will be able to easily fit along the drivers side wall , secured out of the way when not needed ... I'm trying to keep it REAL simple!!! (read too many ultralight threads ) :lol:
M ... Pain ???? Shelf is made with an edge lip that makes it stiff, and does not allow things to fall off the edge ...side storage allows much more storage /utility /foot (if yer' tall) space...table when you want it ...
The overhang would have a space under the rear to accomidate a small awning rolled up on a Dowell ... a PVC storage tube under the frame would carry the awning poles and fishing rods...old school ...
Jay .... Doors are gonna' be kinda' short for any awning support,eh??? .... poles are better cause' you can use a bigger awning and hang more Chinese lanterns.... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:54 am

Cool weather has finally arrived ... Stripping the trailer of all boat stuff ...have the wood for most of the construction already ... One question ...... I have some really nice #1 (knotless)Pine for the floor frame ... Thinking this will be bolted to the Trailer frame , and coated , should be OK , eh ???? I see alot of people using Oak ... is there any advantage over using good pine ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Melvin » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:09 am

Arne wrote:I like the double door better. If you open them 90 degrees, under the overhang, you get sun, wind, weather protection.

Or with an extra long set of strap hinges you could have the doors open 270 degrees and fold back along the body completely out of the way.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:29 am

Or Perhaps opening the doorfrom the bottom(swingup) , so the door would become the awning ??? The hinging , a simple piano hinge on the top ... waterproofing is no problem because the hinge line is under the short overhang in the back ....simple and effective ...just another idea to sort ... :thinking:

Progress is slow due to rainy weather ... once the trailer is stripped I can cut the nose off it and move it into the "hanger" for construction ...only have to buy the sides for this one .... everything (alot) is left over from the Big Bugout project .... This'one's gonna' be real Cheap and Practical ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:51 am

After suffering through the glassice and Hoot threads , I look at this project and laugh ....This is soooooo simple ... 8)
Glad I'm not in that business!!!!! Just the fumes would make me illegible ....hahahahaha
I don't mean to offend anyone , but the beautiful wooden trailers we've seen here seem so much more satisfying than some smelly plastic project ...(and then you have to make the cabinets ...) just my humble opinion ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:01 am

this is one cool project...I especially like the rear overhang idea.

Have fun................
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:24 am

GPW wrote:After suffering through the glassice and Hoot threads , I look at this project and laugh ....This is soooooo simple ... 8)
Glad I'm not in that business!!!!! Just the fumes would make me illegible ....hahahahaha
I don't mean to offend anyone , but the beautiful wooden trailers we've seen here seem so much more satisfying than some smelly plastic project ...(and then you have to make the cabinets ...) just my humble opinion ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: GPW should we convert them to wood. Seemed Hoot had a great start on a woody. 8) :lol:

Hope you don't wash away. Git R Dun!!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:05 am

M '... I think it's merely a case of mis-directed judgement ....A really great idea, but "lateral thinking" leads us down strange design paths... and construction methods may exceed rational design parameters....Namely , it's gonna' be a real ***** to construct , EXPENSIVE,and totally impractical ...and you'll never get rid of that fiberglass smell ...

Bod ... one of the more practical aspects , with the addition of a patio and chairs later....... :roll: Seriously , with the overhang to weatherproof the back door and provide a place to store a long skinny awning,it provides protection for the person at the rear door , from rain , hail , leaves , and random bird droppings (Arrgh!!!)
And it uses that tiny bit of scrap cut off from the front of the sides.... neat and THRIFTY too ...Besides , it gives it a sorta' retro Buck Rodgers look !!! That and a cool paint job ...

Ps , I will be fiberglassing the top ...over the wood , then boat paint ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:46 am

Got a good start on #2 ... laid out all the critical dimensions on the trailer ... marked the cuts ... ready to go to the welders...Floor parts collected ready for assembly / coating with black nasty stuff...pics as soon as something of visual interest happens... 8) This one is so much smaller(2/3 's the size of the Bugout) , it's like a toy ...but then again , aren't they all toys ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:21 am

We're back :D .... had to pause for "other projects"... Hurricane season on the way .... new trailer time ... Had much use for the boat trailer ,hauling materials ... proved itself worthy... Welder's been waiting months on me ... wood parts lying about... did take this time to scrounge parts , here and there .... much better than having to settle for something at the last minute...Pics soon ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques