Feasible floor frame idea?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Jiminsav » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:45 am

Jack..I'm pickin on ya..
as for strength, if she used a ¾ piece on the floor, and if she puts shelves and partitions across the front and back, scrwed and glued to the floor, that sucker will have plenty of stiffness.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby sunstarjeep » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:35 pm

Besides going for support, I think the framing is needed for that trailer to get it up over the wheels to go for 5 ft wide. I am doing the same thing, hopefully starting this week. As I am off from work, woohoo.

Not too highjack, but one question I couldnt find after searching for.
I'm doing 5x9 and so going to cut 3 different sheets and attach sideways, to a frame also. Is there anything special to do on the flooring deck to meet the plywood joints together, besides calking and then the roofing tar underneath?

thanks
sunstarjeep
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:56 pm

Sunstar....I take a router and a 3 wing bit on it...cut a slot in the 2 sheets of ply that are going to butt together and install a spline...if you don't have a router...you could always cheat and just butt them together and lay a batten down the gap...well glued and screwed ...put it on the bottom side...no one will ever know...just an idea...doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Elumia » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:21 pm

or you could go to home depot and buy some tongue and grove ply that is typically used for subfloor. I know it comes 19/32 (5/8" nominal) Should be strong enough.
Elumia
500 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques