Router bits

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Router bits

Postby asianflava » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:39 am

I have my template cut out of 1/4 ply. I decided to go to 1/8 baltic birch #1 because it is much lighter and #2 because I found some locally.

My only exposure to routers is using them to cut laminates off table edges.

What kind of bit do I need to cut the side walls? I have figured out that I need a pattern bit. Is it better to have the bearing on top or on bottom? If I'm using it to cut the pattern, should I go with a wide cut or a narrow one? Does it matter? Should I use a bushing instead?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby robert » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:29 am

flava,

If you cut all the panels at once go with a top bearing. just make sure that you have no router creep.

If you cut one panel at a time go with a bottom bearing bit.

If you use a bushing the panels will be larger because of the bushing, use a brass bushing if you can find one.

I cut out all of my panels at once with a 1/4" top bearing bit it work great even cut out the door at the same time now i have 4 tombstones (door blanks) for halloween :wink: router are great tools if i had to pick only one power tool it would be a router you can cut stright ,circles rabbits,dados,joints, do anything you want its the prefect tool.
Robert
robert
Teardrop Builder

Postby Steve Frederick » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:56 am

Ditto Robert's comments, with one more. Screw the panels together, and to the workbench to prevent that creep that he mentioned. I would do both at once with a top bearing, template, router bit. I got a set of pattern bits, top and bottom bearing, for around 20 dollars at Sears.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby robert » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:08 am

Steve says,
Screw the panels together, and to the workbench to prevent that creep that he mentioned.

I forgot to say that thanks,but what i was trying to say is that i have a plunge router that will creep up if i don't lock it hard an thats why i have a 1/4" notch in the front of the panels.:roll:

Robert
robert
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques