Spots where stain didn't stick

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:19 pm

Andy Ehle wrote:Danny,
I am a cabinet maker (now. I used to do home remodel) I keep a big box of crayons in my tool box for filling holes and touching up any gaps in laminate seems. The big box has alot of colors.(

I also have used wood plus to hide screws. You can't really hide them so they disapear(sp?)so I like to use a contrasting wood plug to make it decorative.

I recently finished a bed (actually the trundle portion) for my mom. made out of clear yellow pine with walnut plugs to cover screws and as a decorative touch. I also used the same method to hide some screws in 2 blanket chests I made last christmasfor my dad and one of my brothers.
They wer made with yellow pine cases with red oak trim and walnut plugs they turned out great.

good luck
Andy

Welcome fellow Cabinetmaker. I think there are 3 or 4 on this board maybe more. I have been one for 39 years ( selfemployed past 6 yrs. ) now and have no plans of quitting. I make my laminate seams so tight they rairly need any touching up but if necessary I get Home Depot to make me a quart of matching paint on the PC and mix it up with glazing compound, the best possible touch up even for my color challenged eyes. Nice looking work. You can see some of my work in my album. Have fun making sawdust, ;) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Andy Ehle » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:08 pm

Danny

I agree on tightness of laminate seams. I sometimes have to fix problems that others create. We also use paint to match up with the plam but sometimes its just got to be fixed now ( usually when the shippind dept. bangs something up and no time to remake the damaged part).

I have used wood dust to fill very small gaps but only when applying a clear finish. It just doesn't take a stain or dye the same way and I have not been happy with the results.( I'm a wee bit picky about finish)

Andy
Andy Ehle
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques