Fiberglass Reinforced Wall Panel

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby SteveH » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:52 am

The only thing wrong with FRP, in my opinion, is that it only comes in 4X8' sheets. Eliminates making anything larger than a 4X8' teardrop. Even aluminum left out in the weather without any protection will deteriorate.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gambam » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:03 pm

you can get it bigger. I'm building mine out of 4x9 foot sheets, donated from an uncle.
Gambam
Donating Member

What Glue

Postby Creamcracker » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:38 pm

I'm thinking of using FRP -- I like the shine and the clean look of the material. However, I read that some people have problems with the glue used and a subsequent buckling of the FRP because of expansion. I've had some advice offlist but was wondering what others may have encountered problem wise when using FRP. Do you find expansion to be a problem? What adhesive do you use? How much gap if any do you leave between roof and side wall? What do you cover that area with? Thanks Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby jagular7 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:03 pm

I've got a commercially built td with the FRP as walls and top. The walls comprise of 3/4" marine plywood and the FRP. Top has FRP inner and outer panels with a frame of 2x2's. From what I can see and tell, he FRP is not secured directly to the frame work in a mass area. Its more attached through the trim and the trim screws.

Though warning, look at that paper backing. Water it does not like. Make sure there is no way water can get behind it. My interior lower kick panels are FRP and they show discoloration. We'll see if the external will start to show the same. Pics
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:40 pm

jagular, you don't have frp, you have filon..it's made for outside
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby jagular7 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:10 am

Jiminsav wrote:jagular, you don't have frp, you have filon..it's made for outside

Really, when I found the leaking situation, I contacted the manu. I removed the inner lower panels on the front/rear headers and found whats in the pics. The lower corners had growth on it, so I cleaned it up with clorox/water. The backing peeled away as its layered paper. On the outside, if you look real close, you can see the fiberglass strands. Oh, well, thanks for the info.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby brian_bp » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Jiminsav wrote:jagular, you don't have frp, you have filon..it's made for outside

I know this is an old topic, but I just stumbled across it...

Filon is FRP, which just means fiberglass-reinforced plastic, which of course is usually just called "fiberglass". Filon is FRP made in sheets, with or without a gelcoat... yes, generally as an exterior panel.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques