Diamond Plate--attaching to front? Anything better, as good

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby larryl » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:11 pm

Jim:

I home-made a front "bra" to protect the aluminum skin by using black rubber carpet runner from Lowes. It was 3.00/ft. Attached it under the roof/wall trim on the sides, used stainless steel screwes along the top edge
and used the small black license plate caps to cover the screws.

You can look in my gallery fo a photo. It has worked out real well and was less then $18.00 to make.

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby kayakrguy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:18 pm

Larry--

A nice job, indeed and the price is right! Your example makes me think that the motto of the board should be 'will do, can do, make do! <g>

Thanks,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby gyroguy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 pm

kayakrguy wrote:A practical question...I'm driving a Nissan Altima 15" wheels--just how far up thd front of the T is debris likely to fly? (that's from MY car, not passing trucks etc...

I have friends who tow horse trailers. Never seen one yet with a front window!

When I asked how far diamond plate should go up, the answers I got were: "all the way" or "high as you can" or "until you run out of diamond plate."

I think that there are other factors to consider: Distance of tow vehicle's rear wheels from front of trailer, whether tow vehicle has mud flaps, how high tow vehicle's rear bumper is off the ground, how long the trailer tongue is, and what you consider "damage."

Hope this helps.
For build pix of Crocodile Tear, completed 10/26/06 -- Look at my album or new website <www.crocodiletear.com> (website has more info)
gyroguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dacrazyrn » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:57 pm

I wondered about this also...so I grabbed a stick of my 8 ft aluminum, went out to my truck, measured the distance from the center of the tire (on the ground) to the hitch, from the ground to the bottom of the bumper (figured the angle), went back to the trailer and set up the measurements to coincide, used the aluminum to project the path and found out about how high rocks are to be possibly thrown.
With my BFAW (big, fat and wide) TIRES that throw stuff so well...I am going to (someday) put diamondplate a foot higher then the measurement, to be safe.
My measurements gave me rocks hitting it about 42 inches off the ground on the front of the trailer. My rear bumper is already 24 inches off the ground.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques