Sealing stuff--Peel and Seal?--and what is silicone?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Sealing stuff--Peel and Seal?--and what is silicone?

Postby kayakrguy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:04 pm

Folks,

Going crazy trying to find roof rubber/membrane to use for door and hatch hinge. In calling around to roofing folks, one recommendation I got was something called Peel and Seal. Not sure it has been mentioned here but I thought I would pass it along...it doesnt look like it would be of much use for hatch hinge, door hinge purposes. Here is a website:

http://www.bobvila.com/BVTV/HomeAgain/B ... lSeal.html

Have not had much luck finding roofing rubber--unless I want to buy rolls for something like $250 (NOT!) Will continue to call roofers and see if I can find some.

In the meantime, beside bicycle inner tubes etc, silicone has been mentioned as a condidate for door hinges etc. Now, I am familar with the tubes of silicone putty you can buy but this sounds like a membrane? I may be misunderstanding something here and if so, I apologize...clarification would help...

Gracias,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby dacrazyrn » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:17 pm

I am looking at the option of some Plasti-Dip. COmes in spray on and "brushable." Found my hinges little gaps are letting in some unwanted water and this may be what works. we shall see.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby Podunkfla » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:47 pm

kayakrguy... Have you checked out PVC vinyl "shower pan liner"? You can get it at any big-box like Lowes, Home Depot, etc. :)
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby JIML1943 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:30 pm

There is a roof repair for rv's it's epdm i think it comes in a 6"wide x 5 or 6 ft long, may or not be what you need.Try camping world.
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:00 pm

Anyone tried pond liner. Seems it might be uv stable and waterproof.

:lol: 8) OOOppppssss. Pond liner is EPDM . Looked it up. :thumbsup: Perhaps Lowes or HD will sell a foot of it. Should cover a bunch(I think they sell it by the foot or yard.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Why not use these hinges?

Postby Guy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:22 pm

Dear Kayakrguy,

Why not use the hinges for just 4 Dollars a foot?

Harsh Environment Hinge

Harsh-Environment Plastic Piano Hinges without Holes

Made of tough polyolefin plastic, these hinges resist saltwater, oil, most chemicals (including solvents), temperature extremes, and damaging UV rays. All of the hinges have rigid leaves and a flexible webbed middle instead of a pin. The pinless design results in smooth, silent operation. There are no mounting holes—surface mount hinges using adhesive, screws, nails, or other fasteners. Can be cut with a box cutter or razor. For indoor and outdoor use. From the folded position, the range of motion is 360° . Temperature range is -40° to +180° F.
Available Leaf 1 1/8" Open Wd. 1 1/2" Open Wd. 2" Open Wd. 3" Open Wd.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mfkaplan » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:57 pm

I'm doing a rebuild mostly of my first attempt to fix up my teardrop. I'm making new doors that I hope a water tight. Although I will have weather stripping, I could see daylight through the middle of the hinge. I don't know if this attempt to seal hinges is a good idea or not. Don't know how long it will last either. It was cheap. I went to the fabric store and bought a half yard of 45"wide really, really heavy vinyl. I Cut strips 1/4 " wider than the hinges, then mounted the hinges over it. The edge of the vinyl is even with the edge of the hinge. The 1/4" is the stretch when the hinge bends. It's on the inside so the sun won't hit it. I used cauk under the plastic. Probably won''t stick to the vinyl well but fills in the space between it and the hinge . Trim goes on top of hinge. :thinking:

Mary
Mom's nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:58 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Anyone tried pond liner. Seems it might be uv stable and waterproof.

:lol: 8) OOOppppssss. Pond liner is EPDM . Looked it up. :thumbsup: Perhaps Lowes or HD will sell a foot of it. Should cover a bunch(I think they sell it by the foot or yard.

Checked with Home Depot and pond liner is indeed epdm but he couldn't say it was uv stable. Seems it is supposed to have dirt over it. $12.88 per foot and 15 ft long. Lots of extra. The clerk also suggested truck tubes. Seems truck repair places will give them away.

Nice hinge Guy. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby kayakrguy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:45 am

Miriam, thanks for the heads up about truck tubes. After checking around I think either truck or bicycle tube is the most likely source of rubber hereabouts. My hesitation about pond liner, roofing stuff, window sealing stuff etc is that none of that stuff is intended tor use around moving things like hinges...not sure it would stand up.

Guy--I have been looking at those hinges for awhile and Steve Cox' experience suggests that the new plastics have what it takes to stand up to UV, a killer for most plastics--including older rotomolded kayaks!

Anyhow, I ORDERED the hinge!
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques