Can a ummmm rookie do aluminum siding?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby BrwBier » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:20 pm

If its close to the edge you want, you cant beat an electric shears. The one in my picture cuts flush with the edge of anything. You can trim off any amount, from 1/64 to any amount. You can start with a sliver of an edge or start in the middle of a panel, with a starter hole. The cut is smooth with no chips. The cut is easy to control and curves are no problem. And unlike the chips from a router, the waste has value, aluminum is at an all time high.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tripmaker » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:06 am

BrwBier wrote:If its close to the edge you want, you cant beat an electric shears. The one in my picture cuts flush with the edge of anything. You can trim off any amount, from 1/64 to any amount. You can start with a sliver of an edge or start in the middle of a panel, with a starter hole. The cut is smooth with no chips. The cut is easy to control and curves are no problem. And unlike the chips from a router, the waste has value, aluminum is at an all time high.
Brwbier

Harbor Freight is having a sidwalk sale tomorrow. Sounds like I have to go shopping.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Re: Can a ummmm rookie do aluminum siding?

Postby Colemancooler » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:13 pm

the Turbo shear from malco, cuts a single line but raises up one side of the cut where the " double cut" style cut out a strip, and the metal does not need to be relieved to allow the sheers to move along the material. http://www.amazon.com/Kett-Tool-P-500-Double-Shears/dp/B000JXQO3U dont let the price fool you i got a used pair of pneumatic doublecuts for $20
:beer:
Colemancooler
Teardrop Master

Re: Can a ummmm rookie do aluminum siding?

Postby TRP » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:12 pm

I'm a complete rookie. First try at building a tear drop, and I did my own aluminum sheeting. It wasn't terribly difficult. I found it easier to do than I did applying that inner skin on that front upper curve.

I put the photos in my gallery.

Do it!

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques