Wacky idea on a heater!!!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Gerdo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:59 pm

Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:02 pm

You can always fill bottles with hot water and stick them under your covers. Winter tent camping we would have a "special" privi bottle and keep that in our sleepingbag (don't hold it, pee, in when your cold because your body has to heat it also)
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Greg M » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:27 pm

Shouldn't this thread be under the cooking section? What you've described is an easy bake oven :campfire:

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Re: Wacky idea on a heater!!!

Postby Dale M. » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:46 pm

doug hodder wrote:Now this isn't for everyone, but might be for those of you that like to camp in areas with power in colder temps....it's a trick that I've done on dog houses...
I thought about it when reading all the recent info on body wattage output in another thread..
What I have done is get an industrial exterior light housing...one of those with an aluminum cage and glass cover...stick in a 150 watt or whatever size bulb you want, more wattage, more heat...paint out the glass housing, black...ideally mount it under some interior cabinets down by your feet, so you get better air flow, heats the foot area and then flows out into the rest of the compartment... probably mount it off the bulkhead up near the bottom of the shelves. It won't give you a blast of heat, but when plugged in it will warm up the area fairly well...I used it on dog houses in Denver and the temps would be well below 0 and with a flap on the door...it was in the 40's in the house, insulated however...she's spoiled...Daisy would stay out all day long in it...now I don't camp in those temps...but it might be interesting to see if some of the more scientific types could run some numbers on the BTU's given off by a bulb and what effect it might have on a volume of air inside of a tear...Hey...it isn't a cure-all...but if you camp with power...it's cheaper than a propane furnace.
Pros...cheaper to run, no noise, no vent, less weight, inexpensive to do, dry heat, lower fire hazard, no risk of CO...
Cons..doesn't heat up fast, more long term heating cycle, gotta camp with power. would require more thought on installation...
I just thought it was an idea, and if any of the Mr. Science types could run some numbers on it, might be viable, and anyone that has worked with a touble light in confined spaces might just agree on this...just a thought... :thinking: Doug

Have you though about the safety hazard in misusing a light fixture this way... There is a burn factor if unprotected skin touches it and there is fire hazard if something flammable comes in contact with it...

I personally think its a poor substitute for a properly designed heater.

And using a light bulb in old refrigerator to keep welding dry is a whole lot different than keeping human bodies warm in a small box....

I think there needs to be some rethinking here while addressing safety.

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:59 pm

Dale M. wrote:

`

This is also something that probably need a protective "cage" around it to prevent accidental contact.

Candles in small confined space of TB is kind of scary from the accidental contact, hot wax, and fire hazard if you fall asleep...

Consider anything that produces heat as a danger if not properly shielded to prevent contact... Some of the ideas here are a bit on scary/bizarre side...

Old metal hot water bottle filled with , you guessed it "hot water", wrapped in towel at foot of bed always worked well for me...

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby apratt » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:18 pm

Dale you miss the part what Doug said

"one of those with an aluminum cage and glass cover..."

with the cage cover it should work just fine.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby funomenal » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:18 pm

This just may be the ticket to our dilemma. A new product from Harbor Freight: 12 volt ceramic auto heater( item 94592-oash
150 watts
Built in fan

All for only $12.99! I'll take one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... ion=Search
funomenal
Teardrop Advisor

Location: Tracy , California (Home of the World's Longest Lasting Tire Fire!)

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:00 pm

funomenal wrote:This just may be the ticket to our dilemma. A new product from Harbor Freight: 12 volt ceramic auto heater( item 94592-oash
150 watts
Built in fan

All for only $12.99! I'll take one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... ion=Search

My son gave me one of these. It's a SCREAMER and it sucks the life out of your battery. I have used a Coleman lantern to preheat my tear with the mattress pads etc pushed away. It did a great job of taking the chill off. I have since bought a Mr Heater that runs on a 1lb propane tank for Preheating but it actually is too hot for the ceiling. I like this idea of the ceramic pet heater if it's properly installed and used. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Chaotica » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:48 pm

Gerdo wrote:Got Heat?
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product ... 1-_-167592

I use two of those to heat my snake's habitat, one is 150 watts and gets realllly hot to the touch, the other is 50 watts is is also very hot to the touch. Ceramic sockets are necessary to use these emitters because of the heat they produce.

Anything that comes close to the emitter gets very hot so I'm not sure a wire mesh screen in front of it would be safe especially in the small confines of a tear.

If a safe enclosure could be found to house it, a thermostat can also be used to regulate it.
Ed
Chaotica
Teardrop Master

Postby Dee Bee » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:27 pm

apratt wrote:Doug, I don't think your idea is wacky at all... When not camping with electric, I was going to try using a candle. Thinking of making a mounting where the candle can not get knocked over and try that. I have used candles in a 8' cabover camper and it took the chill off in it. My camper is and old one and I don't think it is very well insulated at all.

Doug I like it. I have used this with dogs before. I know if works. I placed mine inside an upturned tincan. It worked for months on end....

If anyone is going to use candles... Don't sleep and keep a vent or window cracked. A candle can kill inside a tight TD.

Having sounded like a Safety Officer or a Mother Hen??? have you seen this?

Go to http://www.heatstick.com/

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:49 pm

hi, All:

I like the candle <...&...> hot water bottle solution.
ImageImage
The candle if protected takes off the chill in the cabin air.
Note: (Turn off before sleep for air in cabin and life expectancy issues:)
(The ambiance is wonderful at night, & a wonderful night walking candle as well.) * A key buy *
The hot water bottle gets the bed nice and toasty.

Note: There is a small disadvantage of heating uP the water but
what else you got to do while camping and your having
cocktails in the eve, anyway?

Here are some candle solutions:
http://candlelantern.com/advantage.html
Maybe a Moroccan looking covered candle?
http://tinyurl.com/ft5vf
Shaker Shops West products (Including Barn Candle holder above:) (I have one like this only vintage:)
http://www.shakershops.com/shakeraccessories.html

Note: So my solution uses a candle ... and propane for het water.
Both of which you can have for most every trip out.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Podunkfla » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:43 pm

I like the ceramic pet heater idea... but this may work better for a tear:
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-29 ... 91542.aspx
It doesn't get hot at only 7 watts per foot. I used one in my dogs house, taped to the floor with thin carpet over it. Worked good... sort of an electric blanket for dogs.

More sizes, etc: http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-299-heat-tape.aspx
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Dale M. » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:02 pm

apratt wrote:Dale you miss the part what Doug said

"one of those with an aluminum cage and glass cover..."

with the cage cover it should work just fine.

The statement "What I have done is get an industrial exterior light housing...one of those with an aluminum cage and glass cover.... leaves a lot to interpretation as to what actual fixture is like....

Typically these lights only have cage over glass portion... Aluminum body still gets hot....

Its still a misuse of a device and that inherently causes safety issues....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:17 pm

We use something like this:
Linky

We just turn it on for half an hour before we go to bed and we're good down to 24F so far without anything else.
Bruce
Last edited by bdosborn on Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Nytewyng » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:19 pm

Well since no one mentioned the obvious I guess I will, if the site has electric, use an electric blanket.........if you have a side room tent attached as I do I plan on using one of those http://tinyurl.com/ghk55 on a small table near the open door of my tear
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques