My Battery / Tongue Box - Build Progress Added

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Mary K » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:44 am

I got the lid on!!

Still need to do some filler and sanding on it though. I made the lip on the lid out of 1x2's. I went through a whole 8 foot 1x2 just to get the last lip piece installed. But it was GOOD practice!! :thumbsup:

I will use some scrap rubber floor matt w/ caulking under the hinge, and some weather stripping around the top to make it water tight.

The inside was done, and I couldn't wait, so I painted it.. :)

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:43 am

very nice work...............
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Podunkfla » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:08 am

Dang Mary K... That looks really good. I could use some more help around the cabinet shop! :thumbsup:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Mary K » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:34 am

Thanks Barb!! :)

Podunkfla wrote:Dang Mary K... That looks really good. I could use some more help around the cabinet shop! :thumbsup:

Brick, Thanks also. That would be a fun job!!

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby SkipperSue » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:28 pm

That looks great Mary! :thumbsup:
I might try something like that myself. :applause:
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby Podunkfla » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:38 pm

Mary K... A while back I made some side bed tool boxes for my truck out of plywood. I filled the screw heads with JB weld cause I had some, but bondo would be easier to sand. I sealed the outside with polyester resin from HomeDepot, about $14. a quart (like you do fiberglas with)... brushed 2 coats sanding between them. For a final finish I used Rustolium Hammered texture paint in a rattle can from Walmart (I used dark bronze, but they have other colors). That is really cool stuff. Everyone thought I had bought some very expensive metal tool boxes. 5 years later they still looked good when I sold the truck.

friend ~ Brick
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Mary K » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:57 pm

Ah, so your saying I could make it look like its metal? I will have to check those paints out. Of course I bought the cheap, Family Dollar spray paint... Money is tight, but I have to work on something or I will go crazy!!!

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Podunkfla » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:45 pm

Ah, so your saying I could make it look like its metal? I will have to check those paints out. Of course I bought the cheap, Family Dollar spray paint... Money is tight, but I have to work on something or I will go crazy!!!

Yep... The secret is to seal it with something that works well outside. Polyester resin is very good, spar varnish is good too - and cheaper. Polyurethane is not good for outdoors, and a lot of so called sanding sealers aren't either. (I use a specialized vinyl sanding sealer from Sherwin-Williams on all my cabinets. It's great stuff, but not cheap and hard to find except at a pro dealer.) Once it is sealed well... the topcoat paint is easy to do, doesn't take much to cover because it isn't soaking in, and protects the sealed layer from UV rays quite well.
<B>~ Brick
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Mary K » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:28 pm

:thinking: :thinking:

Humm...polyester resin... :thinking: I was just going to seal it with two coats of exterior laytex sealer paint. Have some left over from another project.

You don't think this will seal it good enough?? Its whats on my house.

Honestly, I should do some research on sealing wood, and staining and epoxy. I get so confused though... :?

Thanks for your help Brick.

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Podunkfla » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:26 am

Mary K... Yes it wiill be a good sealer if you are going to use Acrylic house paint for the topcoats too. That stuff does hold up well on houses. Sounds like a good plan too. I have a tendancy for overkill on my projects sometimes and I already had the materials I used.

friend ~ Brick
<B>~ Brick
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Loader » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:54 am

Looks great Mary! If that is a practice piece, you'll have no problems with the rest. Wish my "practice" work looked that good!
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:30 pm

Loader wrote:Looks great Mary! If that is a practice piece, you'll have no problems with the rest. Wish my "practice" work looked that good!

Thanks Earl, I have to say I really think I got lucky that it went together so well. Usually things don't go that easy for me. :lol: :lol:

Here it is on the Tongue...getting closer... (not mounted just a looksee)

Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Overanout » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:13 pm

Mary, I like your battery box. You did one fine job :thumbsup: Mind if I borrow your idea?

Rodger

"I became Insane
with Long Intervals of
Horrible Sanity." E.A. Poe
Overanout
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mary K » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:20 pm

Overanout wrote:Mary, I like your battery box. You did one fine job :thumbsup: Mind if I borrow your idea?

Rodger

Thank you, and I don't mind at all. I can even send you a PDF of the drawing I did if ya like.

Mk :)
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Mary K » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:28 pm

I did a quick little drawing for anyone who is interested in building one like mine. ....Ira.....???

You should be able to save this pic as a file and print it. If not, let me know and I can send you a PDF file of it.

Also, let me know if I screwed up on it some where, or if you have questions. I was in a hurry.

Mk

EDIT!!! OOPs I already found a goof!! Updated Drawing. Mk
Last edited by Mary K on Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques