seaming 1/8" plywood?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

seaming 1/8" plywood?

Postby myjeepcherokee » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:34 pm

I'm getting ready to start construction on my teardrop this weekend and I am wondering how I should go about seaming the 1/8" plywood on my roof. The teardrop is going to be 5' wide so there is going to be a seam running right down the center of the roof and I dont want it to leak. I won't be covering the tear in aluminium rather, painting the top and varnishing the sides. any ideas how to seam the plywood? thanks in advance!
myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:39 pm

Sure... that's an easy one... Let the seam fall on a joist.

If you have the plywood grain running the width of the teardrop, than it's easy to cut the plywood so that the seams falls on one of the cross joists.

If you have the grain running front to back, it's a little tougher, but not much. You have to add a center furring strip which runs from the front of the teardrop, to the hurricane hinge. It will have the same profile as the side of your teardrop. Then cut your plywood 2 1/2' wide, and let the joint fall on that center furring strip.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby myjeepcherokee » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:03 pm

thanks, hadn't thought about running it the width of the trailer. Now what kind of wood filler should I use to make the seams perfect?
myjeepcherokee
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:05 pm

Use the epoxy filler that I used, about halfway down this page...

http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/skinning.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques