Wood Filler

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby angib » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:02 am

asianflava wrote:It's probably the same as epoxy thickened with a lightweight faring filler or microbaloons.

Nope, the stuff Jude used is a polyester filler (the little tube of catalyst is the give-away) and epoxy has much better adhesion than polyester - usually the epoxy filler is stronger than the wood it's stuck to.

Flex wood as much as you like and epoxy filler will stay on - do the same thing with polyester filler and it'll eventually crack off.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:01 pm

Empoxy Filler. Can you tell me a little about it. I've never used it :oops:
like were do you get it. and what are these lightweight faring filler and microbaloons.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:17 pm

This is the West Systems page:
http://www.westsystem.com/webpages/prod ... tm#fillers

Other manufacturers make the same stuff, I'm just familliar with the West stuff. You can buy microballons at the hobby store.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:19 pm

asianflava wrote:You can buy microballons at the hobby store.

No kidding? I had no idea. Care to mention any names - Like a Hobby Lobby type store?

I was about to place an order for some as I have enough epoxy at the moment but ran out of fillers. :thinking:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:14 pm

I bought a smallish bottle at Hobby Town. I asked the guy and he didn't know what it was (he was a car guy). I looked and found it near the glues and epoxy (go figure). They use it for model airplanes.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:33 am

asianflava wrote:This is the West Systems page:
http://www.westsystem.com/webpages/prod ... tm#fillers

Thank you that was a very helpful sight just what I needed. Turns out that Rockler carries it.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:02 am

angib wrote:Flex wood as much as you like and epoxy filler will stay on - do the same thing with polyester filler and it'll eventually crack off.
Andrew

Been looking find lots of Polyester Filler haven't found the epoxy filler. Do you have a name or a place that I can purchase it. Thanks Scott
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:15 am

Contact RAKA
Larry will set you up with everything you need. He's a very knowledgeable fellow.
Service and product are very good!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby jdjernigan » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:25 am

Hi Asianflava,

What do you mean when you say "spring"? Can epoxy cause any warping? I'm planning on coating my complete exterior before applying aluminum. Thanks, Joe

:thinking:
jdjernigan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:26 am

jdjernigan wrote:Hi Asianflava,

What do you mean when you say "spring"? Can epoxy cause any warping? I'm planning on coating my complete exterior before applying aluminum. Thanks, Joe

I think asianflava is at the teardrop gathering right now.

asianflava said "If you use epoxy you want to be shure to use cold weather hardener or it will be Spring by the time it cures."

He meant that you should use a fast hardener when it gets cold or it will take a long time for it to cure. He said "Spring" meaning the season.

No, the epoxy won't cause warping - you will be fine by coating your camper with epoxy before skinning.

Best of luck to you! :thumbsup:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kayakrguy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:58 pm

For just filling holes, screw sets, cracks etc I am using a Locktite marine epoxy stick. You cut off some, knead it stick it in whatever you want to fill, come back in 4 hours, sand, and done! Now, I am talking about doing this having already epoxied the outsides and edges with liquid epoxy thinned with acetone--did that before attaching them, while they were flat....

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Jst83 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:42 pm

kayakrguy wrote:For just filling holes, screw sets, cracks etc I am using a Locktite marine epoxy stick. You cut off some, knead it stick it in whatever you want to fill, come back in 4 hours, sand, and done! Now, I am talking about doing this having already epoxied the outsides and edges with liquid epoxy thinned with acetone--did that before attaching them, while they were flat....

Jim

How well will that hold up to road vibration and freezing and Thawing
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby kayakrguy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:54 pm

well, it is marine epoxy--designed for boats, which is a pretty wet and vibrating world! I will put another coat of thinned epoxy just over the patches and I expect it to hold up well, since the rest of the outside is already epoxied....

jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby asianflava » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:26 pm

steve wolverton wrote:
jdjernigan wrote:Hi Asianflava,

I think asianflava is at the teardrop gathering right now.

asianflava said "If you use epoxy you want to be shure to use cold weather hardener or it will be Spring by the time it cures."

He meant that you should use a fast hardener when it gets cold or it will take a long time for it to cure. He said "Spring" meaning the season.

No, the epoxy won't cause warping - you will be fine by coating your camper with epoxy before skinning.

Best of luck to you! :thumbsup:

Thanks Steve, you are correct, I was at a gathering and I did mean Spring the season (capital "S"). Sorry for the confusion.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jdjernigan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:53 am

Thanks Steve and Asianflava,
Guess it was late when I read "Spring" ....wasn't seeing the forest through the trees...but thanks for the clarification!

:? Joe
jdjernigan
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques