floor construction (not to heavy (i hope))

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby dwgriff1 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:32 pm

I am convinced that an 1/8" floor in a sandwich is adequate, once the trailer is finished. The mattress would spread out any load from your bony butt.

During construction, however, it would be easy to punch a hole in that skin. Just throw a few scraps of 1/4 inside to kneel on and put tools on as you work.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:12 am

Arne wrote:I would be concerned about puncturing 1/8" on the top of the floor... could be you are onto something though, maybe 1/4" on top, 1/8" on the bottom...

re water. If there are no holes there is no water..... the bottom of my trailer rarely gets any water from road spray, and asphalt emulsion would keep that out. I would not be concerned about water.

The mattress spreads the load out, probably won't get any punctures on top. The floor flexes a tiny bit sometimes there is an unnerving popping sound. There is a frame crossmember underneath right where the door entry, the cracking sound is the asphalt emulsion unsticking itself to the frame.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:56 pm

I really like the concept.. I think I would go with 3/8" on top, 1/8" on the bottom... 1/2" total, or a saving of 75# for the trailer over 3/4" and much stiffer... placing of 'joists' is very important as far as where battery, microwave, anything heavy, would go..... but It woul be a very rigid floor system.... nice idea.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques