Fender Repair Help Needed

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby glassice » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:14 am

mad jack hit it on the head.Gel was put on to then there chopper gun. fix on the inside grind are sand out soft spot clean with acetone to get all the wax off build up then add extra 1 i are so over patch then sand out cracks and fell with bond-o and you are painting sand with 600 gr paper clean fender with aceone then try not to touch with bare hands
Last edited by glassice on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby glassice » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:18 am

get mat not cloth IF YOU thing you are going to grind all the way through make plaster of pairs mold of spot as backing it a hit not the Way it was made it a very ease fix .You don't put gel on the in side rock will mess it up if your nearer willows ca are battle mountain NV let me know will fix for free
Last edited by glassice on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:26 am

As John mentioned or rather questioned - Would this appear as a manufacturing defect to you professionals?

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:37 am

glassice wrote:get mat not cloth IF YOU thing you are going to grind all the way through make plaster of pairs mold of spot as backing it a hit not the Way it was made it a very ease fix .You don't put gel on the in side rock will mess it up if your nearer willows ca are battle mountain NV let me know will fix for free

Glass Ice thank you... Madjack and others.. I know if I bring it in to a professional here they will charge about 50 Euro or almost 64 USD per hour work at a minimum ...so it,ll make the fender quite expensive but then again its done professionally... :thinking: :roll:

I,ll get the mat and attempt it myself.. I,ll let you know how it turns out..
and ok I got you on the mold too...

Thank You Folks..

Classic Finn
Last edited by Classic Finn on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby glassice » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:38 am

that why i like 3 layers of gel its thin on the end i would add glass to the whole edge are they form n Calif i have fix 8 are 9 set from him
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:40 am

glassice wrote:that why i like 3 layers of gel its thin on the end i would add glass to the whole edge are they form n Calif i have fix 8 are 9 set from him

Glass Ice this fender is quite thin on the edge... how true.. :cry: :cry:

Classic Finn

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:44 am

madjack wrote:Heikki...those look to be some pretty serious cracks(can't really tell in pic)...over here, you can goto most any hardware or box store and get a "fiberglass kit" which contains a yard of FG cloth and the appropriate resin/hardner combination...what ever you have available to you over there, I would glass up the back side...depending on how serious the cracks are, you may have to also sand down the outside and reglass but I will leave that advice to someone with more glass experience than I.....
madjack 8)

Pretty serious cracks indeed now when Ive been turning it and turning it some more to different sides... It can be seen better... Sorry my pic isnt so good ... I,ll take some more photos after my son goes to bed..

On a positive note - Ive got all winter to play with it... :shock: :cry:
UGH...Here is another shot of the area..

Classic Finn

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby glassice » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:59 am

on my 9 fenders in i like to put in core foam it helps with cracksImage
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:14 am

Heikki...I'd be more than willing to bet that the damage occurred during shipping...I think it has taken a hit on that edge somewhere...I've used 2 sets of those fenders and not seen anything like that on either...yours were shipped half way around the world however...as spoken from an ex UPS employee!!! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby madjack » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:27 am

I'd agree with Doug on the shipping thing...from that last pic, it looks like the took a heck of a whack during shipping...the RWJohnson fenders we got were in pretty darn good shape...When we ordered them, we had to wait a bit because he had gotten some bad fenders in and had sent them back to the manufacturer, so I know he inspects them before sale and shipping........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:35 pm

Well my conclusion is that ... Its repairable in any case .. and we do have lots of boat builders that deal with fiberglass so its not a biggy... however positive thinking makes me take it as another building step... :lol: :lol:

I,ll get it done one way or another... thats for certain... :) also they are still the only pair like it here so ... carry on .. :lol:

Heikki

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques