Epoxy in winter...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:29 pm

At 6:30pm the temp is 47 degrees. (It's only 39 degrees outside)...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:59 pm

almost 8pm... 48.7 degrees is the best it could do. Test ended.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:26 pm

:snowstorm: That light doesn't seem to be warming things up very well. I think you need an electric blanket. :thinking:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:43 pm

Sorry guys we had Trudy's kids over for Thanksgiving so I've been gone all day.

What I used were the yellow work lights and I tied them to conduit supended from the ceiling beams so that I could raise and lower the lights. I used a 150000 btu kerosine heater to keep the shop warm while I was applyig the epoxy but didn't want to spend the money for kerosine to run it all night so I used the lights. Spended about 2 ft above the panels the table temp would stay about 45 to 50 degrees all night when out side temp was in mid 20s. The epoxy would get hard in about 4 hrs but I would leave the lights on all night anyway just in case.

As you can see in the pic I was finishing the panels laying flat before assemblying the sides of the warrior. When I did the final work to the sides and top the outside temp had gotten warm enough that I didn't need the lights as much. Plus I did them on week ends when I had day time temps instead of in the evenings when it was cold.

Hope this helps.

GAry

PS
Mike the reason that your light wouldn't heat the tear is that light is a high frequency wave length energy and heat is low wave length. Hang the light from the ceiling shineing on your blanket and get under the blanket or just lay under the light. When the light hits an object the wave length is change from high to low converting from light to heat. This is the basis of solar heating. I bet that if you put your hand on the wall where the light shone it would be warm.
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Classic Finn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:39 am

Miriam C. wrote::snowstorm: That light doesn't seem to be warming things up very well. I think you need an electric blanket. :thinking:

Put an electric Sauna stove there... You will get it nice and toasty...I can guarantee it will work..
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic Finn :D
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Questions about the 500 watters...

Postby kayakrguy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:44 am

Rocky, Mike, Finn,

Ok, where do you get these things--will they fit in a standard socket--?
I assume they are kinda bigger than regular bulbs? Thinking aboudit, I'm not sure I have even seen them at HD etc--but then I have not looked for them, either...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:11 am

Jim
What I used were the work lights that are yellow with a short stand to sit on the floor. They have a protective grid over the front of the light so that you can't get burnt off the glass. The stands work great to tape to the conduit that I hung them on. I got them at HD 2 yrs ago for about $11.

The square yard lights are the same thing,without the stand a protection stuff,and you can find at Walmart or just about every where. the 500 watters are the larger ones.

Just remember that they work like the quarzt heaters they warm what they shine on not the air so you need to point them at the epoxy.

There is a room heater made, I think that it is called sunheat or something like that, that is nothing more that 4 light bulbs in a box that shine on a duct with fins inside that a fan blows through to heat the room. I thought they were cool till I realized that you could have the same lights shine on anything in the room and get the same effect. They do work though.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby asianflava » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:32 am

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:58 pm

Go to Harbor Freight... dirt cheap there...

for example... $12.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=30858

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:26 pm

The Light I have is like Mikes ... It cost about the same give or take a Dollar or 2...

Good for working in the dark though... And it is hot...But for the price its great...And yes its a standard socket...

Classic Finn :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:32 pm

You all are fortunate that you can run lights like that...I do a wood stove as I can get wood pretty cheaply and I generate lots of firewood from stuff that doesn't turn out like I want!!!...Out here in Calif. when I fire up the welder or leave the compressor on, I need to put a chain and binders on the meter just to keep it on the wall...I've had 400+$ electrical bills when building all the fixtures for the store, or doing a fair amount of welding work...it seems high to me, but others may have similar situations...I can't imagine what it would be If I had to run AC through the summer...fortunately I live up in the woods..Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:10 am

Thanks for the buying tips, everyone...I see a trip to HF in my future <g>

I see some $> for electricity in my future, too. :cry:

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

An Update...

Postby kayakrguy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:42 pm

Hi everyone...

I thought I would share my epoxy experience. As I said in an earlier note I ordered the CPES winter mix for the T. We caught a break. Outside temps made it to low 50's so we painted the roof quick, quick...put the T iun the garage. Overnight temps in the 30's. My Vornado heater was left on all night and the temp in the garage stayed around 58-60 and in a day and a half, the epoxy hardened just fine...

Today, I put used the Fill It epoxy filler from Rot Doc. I did it in the garage because it is bloody cold with north wind today. Still have the Vornado running and the epoxy seems to be drying just fine--knock on wood :DOH2:

Now, it it got really cold...temps in the 20's or 'teens, then the Vornado would be marginal for drying epoxy. But, all the advice I got was spot on, re: drying and getting the right product...thanks very much...

'Course, the electric bill next month will be interesting.... :money: :money: $> :cry:
Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby asianflava » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:20 pm

Just one nit-pick; epoxy doesn't dry, it cures. :)
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques