Paint

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Why Epoxy

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:34 am

Lynn Coleman wrote:
Steve_Cox wrote:Here's a paint system that some of the tear drop builders have used over epoxy.

Hi Steve,

I appreciate the info on the Interlox. I have a question about the Epoxy. Is that applied for creating a smooth surface before priming? Or is it simply for waterproofing?

As an old house painter I would be inclined to put two coats of high quality primer sanding between coats for a smooth surface. So I'm just curious about the need for epoxy.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Paul

the epoxy is the seal coat which then needs to be UV protected...you should do all your smoothing beforehand...the smoother your surface is before you start the better it will finish out...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Why Epoxy

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:25 pm

Lynn Coleman wrote:
Steve_Cox wrote:Here's a paint system that some of the tear drop builders have used over epoxy.

Hi Steve,

I appreciate the info on the Interlox. I have a question about the Epoxy. Is that applied for creating a smooth surface before priming? Or is it simply for waterproofing?

As an old house painter I would be inclined to put two coats of high quality primer sanding between coats for a smooth surface. So I'm just curious about the need for epoxy.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Paul

MJ is right, the epoxy is just to seal the plywood. I roll a couple of coats on both sides and the end grain of all Tear Drop plywood. Just to be sure is won't absorb water. It's a holdover from building and repairing boats for me. Nothing worse than laying in bed listening to the plywood over your head laminating.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques