5 bolt or 4 bolt wheel on HF

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

5 bolt or 4 bolt wheel on HF

Postby GeorgeT » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:10 pm

Did your 1175 lb trailer come with 5 bolt hub and wheels or 4 bolt hub and wheels? The HF website isn't clear on the 1175 trailer. Just says 12 inch wheels. Another site I saw describing the 1175 said it came with 4 bolt hubs and wheels. How long ago did you get your trailer? Thanks for any info! :)
Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Re: 5 bolt or 4 bolt wheel on HF

Postby exminnesotaboy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:35 pm

I just picked up a HF 1800# trailer and it has 5 bolt hubs and 12x5.3" wheels. The 1175# on display at the store had 4 bolt hubs and 12x4.8" wheels.

I picked mine up in the store, so I couldn't comment on the wait time. However, the sale flyer was out about 2 weeks before they had any size trailers in stock
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

HF trailer

Postby ahjones3 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:12 pm

I got my 1175# Model 90154 about 4 weeks ago for $199.95 . It has 4 bolt hubs.
Al.
ahjones3
Teardrop Builder

Postby Arne » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:38 pm

Imagine my surprise when I actually saw a Harbor Freight store on my trip (I think I was near New Orleans).... boy, I wish I had one near me.... it was great... much better than a catalog. I only had a few minutes but was very impressed with all the tools on display.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby asianflava » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:56 pm

It' fun to browse but a real pain when you go there for something in particular. Seems like I can never find what I'm looking for when I go there then I end up buying a bunch of other stuff. Hmmm, maybe that's what they want us to do?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

4 bolt

Postby GeorgeT » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:29 pm

Finally got a 1175# HF trailer down in San Antonio. It came with 4 bolt wheels.
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby BrianB » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:04 pm

I've never held HF in high regard (bad experience with a router that lasted 2 months), especially after I visited their brick and mortar store here in town. Cheap prices are one thing, but I'd rather spend twice as much on Craftsman tools with a lifetime warranty than half as much on something that'll last me a few months/weeks/hours.

Knowing how flimsy their tools are, I'm amazed so many of you guys trust their trailers to carry your teardrops.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby mexican tear » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:07 pm

I have found that when you buy from HF, it is wise to check the quality of what you are looking at. I bought a little work table that was a waste of money. Some things are great. I bought a "tractor rocking horse" for my grandson and it is great. I also like their grinder stand and clamps.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby GeorgeT » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:08 pm

Knowing how flimsy their tools are, I'm amazed so many of you guys trust their trailers to carry your teardrops.[/quote]

I feel pretty much the same way about a lot of their stuff but I have gotten a few things there that wasn't the best but did the job and they're still around to do a few more jobs. The tools that I use a lot I buy good stuff. The trailers, I have had a good experience with. Flimsy, a bit I admit but for a tear I think they are good enough seein's that the cabin box is a big part of the strength of the unit. I bought one of their little 4x4 trailers a long time ago. I used the hell out of it, carrying stuff to do my landscaping and remodeling of our home, including a lot of bags of concrete. I built a box for it that would hold a half yard of dirt. Carried several of these about 10 miles to my house. The weight was way over its capacity and it did bend a little here and there but I bent it back. Eventually I took off the box and added a long tongue to it and some bunks and hauled around a 14 foot flat bottomed boat with motor for several years. Many trips to Lake Buchannan from south Austin and back. Never a problem with the trailer or its bearings or axle. In short it performed far and above for what it was supposed to. The trailer is still going today hauling that boat around somewhere around Marble Falls. From what I see of this 1175# HF trailer it is much heavier duty than the first little one I got. This experience with the little trailer was what made me figure it would work just fine for a tear. 8)
Last edited by GeorgeT on Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:17 pm

Shirley will not consider buying an RCA tv because she a problem with one 25 years ago....

I bought a 'chicago' brand 14.4 volt cordless drill 8 years ago from h/f and it had driven thousands of screws and drilled hundreds of holes. It is a bit disconcerting when pushed hard as the I can actually feel the case spreading in my grip as it torques up....

My nephew bought the same one about the same time and it failed within a week.....

I have no problem with h/f stuff..... especially the trailer..... a 600# tear on a trailer with 3" rails isn't stressing it at all.. and the bearings look to be good quality as do the wheels and tires....

Come to think of it, I have never had a problem with h/f stuff.... even down to the 6" vernier calipers I have bought and used for a fair amount of time.... and decent quality as well..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby angib » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:12 pm

A great lesson I received long ago from a college lecturer was the difference between 'cheap and nasty' (bad) and 'cheap and cheerful' (good). I sometimes think that the successful cheap and cheerful stuff gives me more pleasure than the good stuff.

I'm still tickled pink that an ultra-cheap Czechoslovakian-made (GE-branded!) refrigerator I bought in the 70s has been through three owners and was still cooling the beers in the garage of the third owner the last time I saw it. It has outlasted the country that made it (now Czech Republic and Slovakia)!

However you never regret paying 'too much' for good tools, but annoyance at paying too little lasts forever. My socket set has rebuilt several engines and it was maybe $2 extra when I bought it to get the set with a reversible ratchet. Quote:"I could never be so lazy that I'd mind taking the ratchet off and turning it round"........ That attitude lasted well over 10 minutes.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques