1800# HF trailer..who wrote this manual?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

1800# HF trailer..who wrote this manual?

Postby Eric Adams » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:00 am

First off the manual with it is the size of a postage stamp! :(
I ended up d'loading the .PDF online and printing it on a laser printer on 8 1/2" X 11" paper

Second, none of the parts match the pictures. I ended up taking it apart 3 times so far. I do have it figure out now. :)

Builder beware...don't bolt these things together too tight until you make sure all is 100% right. I have bolted the 1st 1/2 together and then removed the bolts 3 times so far. :)

I did get 1/2 of the trailer base done tonight so I am making headway!!!! :D
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby exminnesotaboy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:38 am

Eric,
Thanks for this info - I wondered myself how confusing it might be going off of those little instructions. I downloaded the PDF file and it is MUCH more detailed - I will be careful before tightening everything down for the final time.
-Anthony
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby darkroomsource » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:14 am

I didn't have any trouble doing mine the first time, and in about 2 hours.
-- Andy Hughes
My Teardrop
<><
Grace Happens
darkroomsource
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Arne » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:19 pm

A lot can be determined by where the 'stake' slots and bolt holes are located... It took us about an hour, maybe a bit less, but we did it intuitively, not much looking at the paperwork. Then, we cut it down the middle to widen it.

I have to give my brother a lot of credit. He was the one who noticed most of the proper positioning of the pieces...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Hear that

Postby GeorgeT » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:33 pm

Just finished putting mine together. Same thing, bolt then unbolt, bolt then unbolt. Took about a half day. Gettng it square was the main reason for all the tightening, untightening and retightening. But, finally when all was tight it was reasonably square. Thank God for impact wrenches. :wink:
Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby Eric Adams » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:24 pm

1/2 mine took 3 hrs. I am guessing 1-2hrs for the remainder now that I know what to look at. I am a stickler that it be square and right... no need to make it a race. :) 8) :wink:
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby David Grason » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:55 pm

I didn't get the HF trailer because I wanted a bigger tear than a Cubby. I'm building Kuffel Creek's Comet and so I have to build my own frame. It isn't all that difficult. Of course, I already have a MIG welder, cutting torch, Makita chop saw and a metal cutting blade for my Makita circular saw. So that may seem like a lot of stuff, but I'm really wondering if so many people are going with the HF trailer because they don't know how to weld or don't know anyone who can weld one for them. What is it about the HF that is making it so popular for these teardrop builds?
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques