Project underway, HF trailer build

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Project underway, HF trailer build

Postby GeorgeT » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:50 pm

Fisnished my trailer today except for the lights. A bit more work than had anticipated but all is well and I am well pleased with my 1175 lb capacity Harbor Freight trailer. Should do the job nicely. I added four stabilizer jacks and a tongue jack/wheel. I mounted the toungue jack inside the tongue to get the wheel a bit more centered. I also cut off the caster brackets with a dremel tool and cut off wheel. Took some patience but it did a nice job. Check out my album for pics and you can see where I cut off the bracket and how the jacks were mounted on one of these HF trailers. 8)
Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby Arne » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:26 pm

A lot of the trailer assembly isn't real critical. The squaring up can be done by measuring diagonally from corner to corner (must be equal).. my trailer wound up with a bit of a twist in it (if you sighted from front to back, it was off a bit). But, I put it on jack stands and got it straight when building the tear. Once the tear was built, the box will keep the trailer straight.

Even the trailer can be squared when the floor is put on. Lay a sheet of plywood on it and you'll soon find out if it is square or not... I welded all the xmembers (top only), so it had to be square to start with.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques