Plastic hatch hinge questions

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:05 am

Centaflex is the Hinge that Paul from Down Under is using and Im trying the same on mine...

Low Profile and Waterproof ...here is one website..

http://www.uesint.com/product/product.p ... tSubType=7

http://www.uesint.com/product/fanal.php ... 2.2231/030

Classic Finn :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby goldcoop » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:35 am

madjack wrote:...yup...but Monroe only sells it in 50' lengths............................... 8)

OK-

$33.50/roll!

Here is the Email:

Hello Rich. The price for CPB-1500-50 is $33.50. Thanks for the interest.

Thank you,

Joe Grundman

Sales Engineer

Monroe PMP

A 3Sixty Group Company

P. 800.440.3967 F. 800.453.9683

www.askmonroe.com
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:22 pm

I bought a 50' roll of that hinge from Monroe and I screwed up a 5' piece, so if anyone wants a couple of inches to see what it is and feels like just pm me and I'll send you a chunk.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RichAFix » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:11 pm

Okay, I am still in the design phase so maybe I am just missing something here, but the hurricane hinge isn't that expensive and has certainly proven itself. Why is everyone so willing to put this mildly proven piece of plastic on something that you spend months of your life and potentially a few thousand dollars to build? Is it really worth saving $20 to try this out? Is the hurricane hinge that difficult to work with? Why mess with something as important as this for a $20 savings? I don't know about anybody else, but the thing I like about the teardrop is the easy access to the hatch. I plan on spending a major amount of time on this portion to make sure it has no issues 2 years down the road. I don't think I will be trying something new just for the sake of trying something new.
-------------------------------------------------------
Listen to what I'm thinking, not what I'm saying.
RichAFix
Teardrop Master

Postby Geron » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:06 pm

RichAFix wrote:Okay, I am still in the design phase so maybe I am just missing something here, but the hurricane hinge isn't that expensive and has certainly proven itself. Why is everyone so willing to put this mildly proven piece of plastic on something that you spend months of your life and potentially a few thousand dollars to build? Is it really worth saving $20 to try this out? Is the hurricane hinge that difficult to work with? Why mess with something as important as this for a $20 savings? I don't know about anybody else, but the thing I like about the teardrop is the easy access to the hatch. I plan on spending a major amount of time on this portion to make sure it has no issues 2 years down the road. I don't think I will be trying something new just for the sake of trying something new.

:NC :surrender: :scratchthinking: :peace:

Don't think you missed a thing. Good clear perception. I'm one more wierd old dude. :wink: :banana:

g :peace2:
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm

I agree the hurricane hinge works, and the cost is not THAT prohibitive... I think we are just an evolutionary lot.... always experimenting and moving forward.

If I could find that plastic hinge from AU around here, I would be sorely tempted to try it... it lies pretty flat, and might just be a bit nicer looking.. Everyone in the world seems to have it but us.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby reiltear » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:49 am

madjack wrote:...yup...but Monroe only sells it in 50' lengths............................... 8)

...$1.03 per foot, the last time I talked to them, you can use the leftovers for the next build...
reiltear
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:57 am

RichAFix wrote:Okay, I am still in the design phase so maybe I am just missing something here, but the hurricane hinge isn't that expensive and has certainly proven itself. Why is everyone so willing to put this mildly proven piece of plastic on something that you spend months of your life and potentially a few thousand dollars to build? Is it really worth saving $20 to try this out? Is the hurricane hinge that difficult to work with? Why mess with something as important as this for a $20 savings? I don't know about anybody else, but the thing I like about the teardrop is the easy access to the hatch. I plan on spending a major amount of time on this portion to make sure it has no issues 2 years down the road. I don't think I will be trying something new just for the sake of trying something new.

Rich, there are some moderate engineering problems to be overcome when using the HH...they are no big deal but exist none the less...a piano hinge is simpler to install but has sealing issues and if it was just a question of money, I would use a piano hinge and deal with the sealing issues...the plastic hinge solves all those issues, is simple to install and I believe that it will work for many years to come...and if it does need replacement somewhere down the road, it would be very simple to do...one of the true beauties of these little campers is that basically, if the technique is sound, you can build 'em anyway ya want......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby goldcoop » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:12 am

RichAFix wrote: Why is everyone so willing to put this mildly proven piece of plastic on something that you spend months of your life and potentially a few thousand dollars to build? Is it really worth saving $20 to try this out? I plan on spending a major amount of time on this portion to make sure it has no issues 2 years down the road. I don't think I will be trying something new just for the sake of trying something new.

Rich-

I used it simply because when I built my C'tear I did it without the SAGE advice of this great forum.

I had to use something and after alittle research found this hinge, thought it made sense and used it.

NONE of it was financially driven, just a matter of trying to find something on my own!

Over 2 years of constant exposure and it's still doing GREAT!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Airspeed » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:36 am

I'm thinking of using a pivot on each end with support in the center so when the hatch comes down the hinged end pushes up against a seal at the hinged end and compresses it. The roof line will extend about a half inch past the hatch pivot point and a closed cell or rubber seal will be mounted to the underside. I think this would eliminate the hinge and potential leaks,good idea? bad idea? or do I not make sense?
Aaron
Airspeed
500 Club

Postby RichAFix » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:38 am

Okay, let me start by saying I am sorry. After re-reading my post it kind of sounded like I was attacking others thoughts. That wasn't my intention. It's just as a person trying to figure out the direction I want to go this forum almosts offers too many ideas. I think a good debate is always good if done with an open mind. There are a few topics here that there is just sooooooo much information that a guy could read for a year. (if you don't see what I mean just look at some of the postings on the angle of the torx axle). I would like to see like a master posting of each subject with a healthy debate and a maybe throw out a "preferred" method that people that are looking for a "proven" method can just trust. I don't want to rethink every part of this (althought I think I am just about through the majority of them anyways) if there is already a proven way that just works. Just kind of simplifies it for those that want to just jump into it. Again sorry if I offended anyone.
-------------------------------------------------------
Listen to what I'm thinking, not what I'm saying.
RichAFix
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:50 am

Rich, I absolutely see and agree with the point you were trying to make...I'm not nor do I think that anyone else is/was offended...I love the HH and think it a very elegant and effective piece of hardware...keep in mind that this thread was a question about and a discussion of "plastic hinges"...and yes, it is a relatively new item (for us) and something we wish to give a tryout.

I/we do realize that there is an absolutley staggering amount of info here and it can drive ya crazy reading all the divergent opinions...sdtipper2's index at the top is an attempt at gathering techniques in one place but it tough to do...one of the beauties of these little campers is that as long as the techniques is sound and safe you can do it most anyway you want...which is why I encourage everyone to do a bunch of reading/researching before commiting to any one technique....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby reiltear » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:11 am

Snipped
madjack wrote:Rich, I absolutely see and agree with the point you were trying to make...I'm not nor do I think that anyone else is/was offended...
I/we do realize that there is an absolutley staggering amount of info here and it can drive ya crazy reading all the divergent opinions...sdtipper2's index at the top is an attempt at gathering techniques in one place but it tough to do...
Ditto.

To throw 2 more kopeks into the "fray" - the Monroe hinges are rated 100lbs per inch load, and millions of flex cycles life, if I remember correctly.

Ilya

PS When I start building mine, I'm going with the plastic hinge from Monroe. As someone said in "The Graduate", the future...
Last edited by reiltear on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
reiltear
Teardrop Master

Postby Geron » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:15 am

madjack wrote:Rich, I absolutely see and agree with the point you were trying to make...I'm not nor do I think that anyone else is/was offended...I love the HH and think it a very elegant and effective piece of hardware...keep in mind that this thread was a question about and a discussion of "plastic hinges"...and yes, it is a relatively new item (for us) and something we wish to give a tryout.

I/we do realize that there is an absolutley staggering amount of info here and it can drive ya crazy reading all the divergent opinions...sdtipper2's index at the top is an attempt at gathering techniques in one place but it tough to do...one of the beauties of these little campers is that as long as the techniques is sound and safe you can do it most anyway you want...which is why I encourage everyone to do a bunch of reading/researching before commiting to any one technique....
madjack 8)

Absolutely, No offense. Life's a treat. Gotta love it.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby goldcoop » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:15 am

RichAFix wrote:Okay, let me start by saying I am sorry.

Rich-

Not necessary as far as I'm concerned! I gots thick skin AND it was a legit question!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques