Automotive carpeting for the walls

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Automotive carpeting for the walls

Postby WarPony » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:04 pm

I think I'm going to use automotive carpeting for the walls. Not the loop pile but the cut, fuzzy stuff. I think it will as SOME insulation value but will definately help with noise, too. The condensation is somewhat of a concern but I don't think it will attract any more than a wood wall will. Wipe it with a dry towel and let it air dry. At least the water wouldn't run down and get under the bedding. Now, the stuff I'm talking about is not floor carpeting with a heavy backing but a lighter material used for door panels and other areas that don't have heavy traffic on it. I built a rear speaker panel for my El Camino and just glued it to plywood with contact cement and it turned out great!! Granted, I don't sleep two people in the Camino but I still think it is something to think about.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby DANL » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:03 pm

I know the stuff you are talking about. I think one of the teardrop manufacturers uses it for the walls of their teardrops. It looks pretty good on the walls--handy for banging your head against also. If you plan to glue it on, be sure to use an adhesive that will not give off dangerous fumes. Volatile Organic Compounds/Chemicals (VOC) can be very dangerous. The article on this site refers to paint but the same information pretty much applies to any chemical or synthetic substance used in teardrops--paint, glues, sealers, resins, and insulations.

http://www.homeenv.com/paint_fumes.htm

Fortunately, properly installed and maintained carpeting has a low health risk. The link below contains some very useful information on the subject.

http://www.healthyvermonters.info/hp/ai ... vocs.shtml

I've thought about installing a layer of that one-quarter inch thick foam insulation that they use under aluminum siding before putting the carpet up. You might also have to glue a vapor barrier over the foam to keep chemicals trapped. This would provide a little bit more insulation without sacrificing much interior space.

Let us know how it works out.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:00 am

WarPony - We're also thinking of using carpeting on our walls for the teardrop. The automotive carpet (used often for speaker boxes, etc.) is much lighter than regular carpets.

I'd like to find a source for some colors other than black and dark blues. We're wanting to use more neutral colors such as beige and eggshells.

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:54 pm

How about regular indoor/outdoor or kitchen carpet? Are there any problems with it? I was planning on useing it.

I have also heard that regular contact cement won't hold up to the heat. What should I use to keep carpet from sagging on the walls?

Thanks, D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby mwatters » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:10 pm

What sort of glues?

I've used construction adhesive under similar circumstances with good results.

mkw
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby WarPony » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:11 pm

Steve, go to your local auto interior refinisher and ask to see all the carpet samples and tell them what you are doing. They should be able to help you out.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:23 pm

D. Tillery,

Go to J.F.Hagen Co. here in SA. I think they are on Jones Ave., just off N. St. Marys St. They have spray cans of auto interior contact cement and it works find, holds up to the heat in auto interiors, so it should hold up in a Teardrop.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:17 am

WarPony wrote:Steve, go to your local auto interior refinisher and ask to see all the carpet samples and tell them what you are doing. They should be able to help you out.

Lisa and I made a trip to the hardware store and Walmart tonight and found some good stuff. We found a heavy fabric with backing, very similar to a headliner. We found 10 yards of the stuff, it was 60" wide (my camper is 52" wide) and sold for $1 a yard. We bought all ten yards, and the best part...it was just the color we were looking for. It's a very light creme color.

A trip to Lowes revealed a very heavy wall paper with texture for $15 a roll. We only need one roll.

We also looked at material for the bedding, curtains, etc.

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques