I hate trim!!!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

I hate trim!!!

Postby Mary K » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:05 pm

Trim suckiths!!!! :fb :fb :fb

This is where the other piece landed in the yard...after I threw it....and a bout of tourettes...

This is the third piece I have tried to install... Can someone come do it for me??? :D

I got to find something else to do the trim with on this curve. Straight pieces I can handle. The curve is killing me. And Yes, I used a steamer thingie on it for about 10 min. to get it bendy, but it twists when I try to install.

This is the other side and it looks like crap too!

Any ideas on a different kind of trim??

Thanks,

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:20 pm

Try the composit "plastic" trim and a heat gun butt don't get too close it melts. P.S. I haven't tried this just a guess.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby toypusher » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:22 pm

I used the fake wood trim from either HD or Lowes (can't remember). It seemed to bend a lot beter than wood.

You could try putting some kerfs in it and then filling everything with wood putty and stain. Or just use rope like Ira did. :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby SkipperSue » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:25 pm

I've been thinking about useing a small size rope as trim when I get that far. I saw that Chip had used the rope trick and it looks pretty good to me.
I also like the way the rope is used on the outside of Ira's TD, looks great. :thumbsup:
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:30 pm

The first try was the foe wood trim foam stuff and it snapped into 3 pieces....

Rope??? :scratchthinking: :scratchthinking: hummm thats a thought....

Thanks.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby sunny16 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:48 pm

I saw the rope idea here and tried it. It worked great and it bent real easy. I just used small nails to hold it in place. Haven't had any problems with it falling down yet and it looks great! I used like a 1/4" thick roap, just enough to cover the gaps. Good luck.
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:54 pm

I tried a piece of that white faux trim, quarter round I think, just for kicks and giggles and thought "wow ! this will wor---" <<< snap!>>> okay, never mind...

With my Jewel Box idea, I went to the fabric store drapery department and got some goldish color drapery braid (looks like fancy rope, tons of colors) and will use that. Fits my theme, and matches the cream colored walls... sorry no pics. It's not attached yet.

Only other thing I would suggest is that trim in the bathroom dept... that you use with the bath enclosures etc... not many choices but it bends very easy. Other idea would be to use some small flexible PVC or clear drain pipe or something like that and spray paint it first .... huh?

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mary K » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:03 pm

oklahomajewel wrote: Other idea would be to use some small flexible PVC or clear drain pipe or something like that and spray paint it first .... huh?

Julie

Hey, you got something there!!!! Like small flexible tubing? :thumbs up1: :thumbs up1: :thumbs up1: :thumbs up1:

Yea, painted any color. That's a great idea!!!! Thanks Julie!! :dancing :dancing :dancing I'll let ya know what I come up with!

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby IndyCubby » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:09 pm

Mary K

While looking at your pictures above just now, I had a flashback of the day I did my interior trim. I definitely feel your pain!

I too used the fake wood quarter-round and it broke to pieces. I finally used the tiny little quarter-round trim like you have in your pictures. I think I ended up soaking it in water for a bit to make it a bit more flexible. It ended up working fine without breaking.

Try soaking it. That should help.

Chris
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 pm

I used wood rope ripped in half. It bent to the curve without steaming. Only broke one piece when I got cocky and pushed it into the curve to fast.
Bruce
(Boy that picture sure shows all my filled holes) :oops:
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:57 pm

bdosborn wrote:I used wood rope ripped in half. It bent to the curve without steaming. Only broke one piece when I got cocky and pushed it into the curve to fast.
Bruce
(Boy that picture sure shows all my filled holes) :oops:

Yes, I researched trim and found this pic. I like it a lot but, I don't have a ripper...aka table saw...

What filled holes. :whistle: :shhh:

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:57 pm

Mary K

I am just getting started with the wood trim ....UGH :shock: :shock:
Also Im having trouble gettin that last piece of Hardwood floor into place ...Darn It... ZCant get it under or even near to getting under the Door... Its been nicely cut too..

Guess may have to remove the door framing ...UGH..

I may be using a rope trim on ours.... we,ll see. I,ll heat the sauna to get the stuff bent if needed...

Classic Finn ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Mary K » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:00 pm

Classic Finn wrote:Mary K

I am just getting started with the wood trim ....UGH :shock: :shock:
Also Im having trouble gettin that last piece of Hardwood floor into place ...Darn It... ZCant get it under or even near to getting under the Door... Its been nicely cut too..

Guess may have to remove the door framing ...UGH..

I may be using a rope trim on ours.... we,ll see. I,ll heat the sauna to get the stuff bent if needed...

Classic Finn ;)

Heikki, pull out the next to last row. Then install the last row, and then tap in the next to last row....??? confused... I will PM ya...

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby EZ » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:10 pm

Mary K, it sort of looks like you are trying to bend the trim in 2 dimensions if that makes sense, because you are doing the corner. I did "one dimension" like along the curve of the ceiling but just butted up agains the side wall. Does that make sense? It seems to me that is why the trim is twisting. Maybe you are just asking too much of it over a small radius.

I'm not sure I understand that but I know what I meant.
:chicken:

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:10 pm

:cry: Mary K try taking the wood trim to the shower with you. Kinda pre-bend by leaning on it some. Rather than a heat gun on the plastic a good hair dryer will probably work. ;) :thumbsup:

Did you try coving instead of quarter round? I need to know what not to get. 8) :D
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques