Belly Pans? not bed pans!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Belly Pans? not bed pans!

Postby SteveH » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:03 am

I've seen it written on this forum several times in several threads that it is bad to install a belly pan on the bottom of the frame because of potential moisture condensation/accumulation.

My point is not to argue the statements, but rather to try and get a more detailed expaination of why the moisture problem exists, because I know that evey Airstream product that I have ever seen was equipped with a belly pan. I believe their reason for installing the pan is less resistance to air flow, primarily.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Belly Pans? not bed pans!

Postby DanD » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:11 am

SteveH wrote:I've seen it written on this forum several times in several threads that it is bad to install a belly pan on the bottom of the frame because of potential moisture condensation/accumulation.

My point is not to argue the statements, but rather to try and get a more detailed expaination of why the moisture problem exists, because I know that evey Airstream product that I have ever seen was equipped with a belly pan. I believe their reason for installing the pan is less resistance to air flow, primarily.

Hi Steve,

I own a 1956 22' Airstream with a full belly pan. It spent many of its years traveling the roads of Michigan and Ohio. I dont know if salt accumulation was a contributing factor, but about 20 years ago, the tongue collapsed about a six inches inside the bellypan. Fortunately, we lived in Sarasota Florida at the time and an excellent Airsteam repair place was about 30 miles north of us. To make the repair, he left the bellypan in place and removed the flooring in the front of the trailer, replaced the bad frame and "scabbed" gussets in place to strengthen the frame.

His assessment was that the older trailers with bellypans leaked on the leading edge of the body and bellypan joint when towing. The wheelwell seals were also a leakage point. The problem was the sealant that was used in the 50's. It completely hardened and with the body moving and flexing, the compound broke loose in the joints. With the flexible, non, hardening caulks, now the only way for moisture to get into the bellypan is through the cabin. It must work as Airstream still builds full bellypan trailers.

BTW, the bellypan on my Airtsream was filled with fiberglass insulation from the factory.

Picture of collapsed tongue.....
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dandunnit/detail?.dir=7799&.dnm=5528.jpg
DanD
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SteveH » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:28 am

Dan,

Years ago I had two different Argosys and then later an old airstream and I thought the belly pan was filled with insulation...just couldn't remember for shure. As I remember, the floor wasn't the problem in those metal trailers as far as heat transfer and condensation, it was the walls. Used to use mine a lot for hunting and I remember waking several times to really cold and wet walls.

Outside leakage and resulting corrosion would deffinately be a potential problem. Thanks for your input.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby angib » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:27 pm

Dan,

I think for everyone but you, the only way into your Yahoo album is via:

http://photos.yahoo.com/dandunnit or http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dandunnit/my_photos

And all I can see is the album titled 'Cubby Tear' - I can't find the Airstream photo.

Andrew

On edit: Yup, it's working now.
Last edited by angib on Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby DanD » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:18 pm

angib wrote:And all I can see is the album titled 'Cubby Tear' - I can't find the Airstream photo.

Andrew

I went in and checked the settings for that album and it was set to private. I changed it to public so it should be visible to all now.

Thanks
DanD
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques