Mosquito Screen On Doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby dreadcptflint » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:01 am

Barb,
That is our back up plan since we made our screens for our house last year and have all the equipment. Our big concern is what if you need to shut your doors in a hurry? Do the screens get in the way?

Matt
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Betsey » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:04 am

b.bodemer wrote:I made a screen insert..............

works real nice.

Barb

Very nice, Barb (as is the rest of your tear!!!). I think your teadrop is very pleasing to the eye...not only the craftsmanship and well-thought-out galley but the combination of wood and the colors you have chosen for the details as well as all the nice touches in decorating. I have always admired it.

It's fun to see the different ways everyone has come up with in using screens.

Our curtains, like yours, are mounted on the doors. As they are made to fit the window/screen combos on the doors, they wouldn't be large enough to cover the door screens.

The door screens are mounted on the inner part of the door frames and are rolled up (to the side) and tied when not in use. The screen doors have a zipper to open and close them, similar to a tent screen door. Because the screens are mounted on the inside of the door frame, the doors can still be closed even when the screens are zipped in place.

When we use the door screens, the doors are left wide open. For us, curtains over the door screens would decrease the airflow and be an added hassle, so we don't mind not having them to cover the screens.

Here are some pics to explain things better:

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:30 am

Betsey,
Thanks for the kind words about my td.....................and I really like your screen set up.

Matt,
The insert is used for that extra breeze throughout the day. I only use it on one side and then go in and out of the td from the other door. My td has big windows for a small door so they give me plenty of air at night, and add in the circualtion I get from the two front windows it makes for a comfortable night sleep for sure. For overnight I just lay the insert on the top of the roof. That grey foam you see is for pipes. It's soft and allows me to insert the door, get a snug fit yet not scratch anything. I'm really happy with it.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:43 pm

For those of you who are making screen 'curtains', sewing some washers on the bottom or adding a chain inside the bottom hem for a little extra weight will help keep the wind from blowing them open.

Regards,
Sharon
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques