Knox Foam

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby asianflava » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:34 am

Eric Adams wrote:Someone have their website (knox)? I think I am going for the LG twin size. I forget what it is called.

It's under "sources of Supply" on the links page:
http://www.knoxfoam.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/covers/customcover.htm?E+scstore

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:I think Bev told me that her mattress was configured the same way and that they couldn't "feel the cracks", but now... all this med/firm talk has got me wondering again. :thinking:

We had a Winnebago Brave that had a dinette configured the same way except the table would swing down. The cushions were seperate pieces, they felt fine as far as I could remember. You can put up with a whole lot more misery when you are in 3rd grade than you can when you are an adult.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Woody » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:01 am

I had to do my mattress in sections due to the fact I have under the floor storage in the cabin. It is easier to access that area by removing that section than lift the entire mattress. I do not feel the seams when lying there. Somethimg to consider when installing in floor storage areas for access
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:36 am

Thanks Larry,
Yeah....I'll bet that did make a nice arm rest.

Steve,
Regarding that firm/medium issue, how does this sound?...
One layer of firm, combined with one layer of medium, which would be upholstered. Two sections would be sewn together as Larry describes above, so you would only be dealing with two pieces instead of four.
When each unit is used as a bench for the dinette, the firm section would be placed facing up or out, depending how you look at it.
When both units are layed out as a bed, have the medium side facing up.

Postby Joseph » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:21 pm

Just goes to show that not everyone likes the same thing. I got the 4" firm with their waterproof cover and never slept better in my life - my back was racked up from a week of driving a rented Neon and the weekend in my teardrop cured it! I liked it so well I bought another one to turn the gaucho couch in the Scotty into a full-time mattresss.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby beverlyt » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:29 pm

I went went the Knoxfoam, B grade. Found it to be really comfortable.
We went with the 4" to make sure when you get in and out of the trailer, or sit on the edge with your feet hanging out, the trailer door edge isn't leaving painful indentations in your skin.

Make sure you get it thick enough to come even or a little above the bottom door ledge.

(went with this cover..same as what Joseph mentioned above, I believe)
http://www.knoxfoam.com/cgi-bin/SoftCar ... 1094845745
Bev
Last edited by beverlyt on Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:37 pm

I'm always looking for the simplest solution.

If your foam mattress is too thin, give this a try before you spend any $ on a new one... If you have a sleeper sofa in your house (or the neighbors have one they wouldn't miss), chances are that the mattress is 48" wide. Haul it out to the tear and put it under (or over) the foam pad. Give it a Sunday afternoon snooze. You might find it will work for you at no extra cost. The only price you pay is to haul it back and forth for each outing.
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Great deal on foam

Postby Guy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:15 pm

Dear Folk,

I came across this sale today on Overstock.com http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi ... _ID=834960

For $79.95 you can get 2" thick memory foam in any size.

knoxfoam sells the same product in a queen size for $200.

Hope this helps someone.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:10 pm

Thanks for all the comments. We've thought about it, and we're going to order a 4" Knox B. I don't have to worry about seams because ours is one piece. I'll let you guys know how it is as soon as it arrives.

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:51 am

Well, let me dust this thread off a bit. ;)

My boss gave me a lead on a place for foam. He said his dad purchased a foam bed from them so I called him up and got some information.

Lisa ran by the place before work and picked it up. Here's the scoop - the store is "Discount City" in Jacksonville, TX. She said it was really strange store - it's like a big general store, ARMY/NAVY surplus. She bought a full (53" x 74" x 5" thick) foam for $65. I'm not sure how firm it is, but it feels firm enough to me. So, I'll be sewing up some sheets, bedspread, curtains, and pillows this weekend.

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm

Dean,

Medium is the way to go. You're going to spend a whole lot more time sleeping on the cushions than you are sitting on them... Grade A medium. ;)

Mike...

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:
Steve Frederick wrote:
arnereil wrote:Knox recommends med, not firm for beds..... firm for cushions (more pounds per sq. inch)...

How should we do cushions that will fold out for a matress?? :thinking:

Steve,
Whatever you and Mike decide to do about that... Be sure to let me know, I've came real close a couple of times to scrapping my dinette feature, because of the uncertainty of how 4-20" x 60" sections placed next to one another would feel like when sleeping. (Well, and for the fact that I want too much friggin' stuff in the galley)
I brought this up once before and if I'm not mistaken, I think Bev told me that her mattress was configured the same way and that they couldn't "feel the cracks", but now... all this med/firm talk has got me wondering again. :thinking:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Mattress Sleep System

Postby OkieSailor » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:58 pm

Just read latest issue of Practical Sailor and they have an article about something called the Froli Sleep System from Europe. It is a multiple spring arrangement that you put under the mattess. It holds the mattress off of the sleep surface like box springs, but the individual spring units are arranged for different areas of the body. Practical Sailor is like a Consumer Reports for sailors and they were quite impressed with the system.

Try http://www.NickleAtlantic.com

or

http://www.froli.com/sites/english/homepage.php

This site has the Froli system and some type of spring underlayment you can cut to fit the mattress area.

https://www.svb.de/html/tn03e_467a100.html :SH
Yes OkieSailor is an Oxymoron!!
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:22 am

I followed this thread and another concerning mattresses. I committed tonight to the A/med foam 4" with the waterproof cover. I think that I will be happy as I can always add eggcrate to the top of it if need be. My Coleman tent trailer only has 3" and I put eggcrate on top of it and it is fine for me. So hopefully the 4" will be fine. One thing that I noted is that not many people mentioned their weight when talking about their foam requirements. Just something to think about, PS I'm 6'2" 240# Doug Hodder :oops:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby purplepickup » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:00 pm

doug hodder wrote:I committed tonight to the A/med foam 4" with the waterproof cover. .. Just something to think about, PS I'm 6'2" 240# Doug Hodder :oops:

Doug, I'd be interested to hear what you think about the 4" A/med when you get it. I'm proportionately close to your size. 6' and 225 lbs. If they offered it, the combination that sounds good to me would be a laminated 5" mattress with 2" of A/med or firm and 3" of memory foam. I guess I could make one like that by gluing them together. Anyway I'd be interested in what you think about yours.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:06 pm

Purplepickup......I'll keep you posted. When I get it I'll spend the night on it, as will the dog I'm sure. We'll see how it goes. I'm sure I'm not going to get a Stearns and Foster mattress type thing, but after having an original 49 kit, I'm sure I can adapt. Also thanks for sending photos of your shop into the cluttered shop contest.....Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:10 pm

purplepickup wrote:I committed tonight to the A/med foam 4" with the waterproof cover. .. Just something to think about, PS I'm 6'2" 240# Doug Hodder :oops:

I have used grade A medium foam from Knox Foam twice now for my teardrops, and it's very comfortable. I've got a hunch you're gonna like it... ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques