DIY Tarp enclosure???

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

DIY Tarp enclosure???

Postby Eric Adams » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:13 pm

I have heard several members mention DIY tarp enclosures...anyone have pics or drawings? Please do share... :)

:twisted: :thumbsup:
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:18 am

Amy said Gage has a nice one.
Maybe he'll see this thread and post a picture or give us a description.

Postby Eric Adams » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:14 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Amy said Gage has a nice one.
Maybe he'll see this thread and post a picture or give us a description.

We can always hope. :)
:twisted:
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:28 am

Eric,
Here's Gage's website.
http://www.gages-56.com

Postby AmyH » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:09 pm

Guys, go to this page specifically, scroll down and you'll see it: http://gages-56.com/finish.html

Amy :)
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:16 pm

Thank You Amy,
That's a nice setup. (The music startled me just a bit at first)

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:32 pm

Here's how I did the tarp for our Ltle guy

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marmoygar ... //my_photo

the mount on the tear are 3/4 emt with a washer brazed in the bottom and some conduit hangers brazed on the side then screwed to the side of the tear. The poles are 1/2 emt with 5/16 bolts brazed in the top and a washer brazed to that. The tarp is a heavy 10 x 20 from walmart the tarp is high enough that to open the vent in the rain and not have to worry about getting wet. I found two problems with it though. When the wind blows it rocks the tear and I lost one gromet from the tarp also from the wind. Walmart sells gromets and I plan on trying to reenforce the tarp to keep it form happening next time.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Eric Adams » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:39 pm

AmyH wrote:Guys, go to this page specifically, scroll down and you'll see it: http://gages-56.com/finish.html

Amy :)

Is it bought or DIY?? If DIY where did the fabric come from?? :)
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby AmyH » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:50 pm

I seem to remember Gage saying that he had a place sew it up for him, but I can't remember if it was an awning shop or not.

Seems like a fairly easy diy project, particularly compared to building a Tear. ;) You can find good material, like Sunbrella or other similar fabric, from a place like Seattle Fabric ( www.seattlefabric.com ). That is where I plan to get the material to make my own. When I do finally get around to sewing it up (probably not until next summer), I will post as much information on how I did it as possible.

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Eric Adams » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:33 pm

AmyH wrote:I seem to remember Gage saying that he had a place sew it up for him, but I can't remember if it was an awning shop or not.

Seems like a fairly easy diy project, particularly compared to building a Tear. ;) You can find good material, like Sunbrella or other similar fabric, from a place like Seattle Fabric ( www.seattlefabric.com ). That is where I plan to get the material to make my own. When I do finally get around to sewing it up (probably not until next summer), I will post as much information on how I did it as possible.

Amy

That site doesn't seem like a real site..more of a search engine.

I figure I'll make one. I made my own jeep soft top. Used a speedy stitch, basicly a awl and needle. :twisted: :D
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Fabric Source

Postby Ranger Rod » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:44 am

another good fabric source is http://sailrite.com/ their prices are reasonable and the shipping is extremely fast. Also lots of info on their site.
Rod
Ranger Rod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby AmyH » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:41 pm

Opps, that is what happens when I assume I have the website memorized. :oops: Here is the correct link: http://www.seattlefabrics.com/

Amy
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Gage » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:29 pm

Sorry gang, I don't get over on this side of the board very often but to try and answer your questions about my 'add-on'. The matl. is 10 yards, 60" wide Sunbrella. I did up a sketch and also a little 'paper doll' of it and had a gal at an upholstery shop sew it up for me. It's 5x5x5, 6 feet high at the highest point. Goes up in about two minutes (1 min. if being put up by two) and it works just great. It has leather reinforcement in the two corners where the polls go through. It snaps to the tear and all three sides also can be rolled up. When the sides are down, two side snap together. Oh, I got the material on ebay for $80, that is a good price.
Image Image Image
Have a good day,
8) Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:04 pm

Gage,
That is a nice looking setup. I've got about the same thing planned for my setup.
What's your take on this:
I'm planning on using this area sometimes as a private showering area and a place to have a porta-pottie when those facilities aren't available at some of the palces I camp with my kids.

It sure looks like a great place to change clothes.

Postby steve wolverton » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:11 am

Dean in Eureka, CA - This is what I'm buying myself for Christmas:

http://www.packinpotty.com/holidayspecial.html

Nothing says 'Merry Christmas' like a portable toilet. Ugh. :roll:

I like the idea of having an emergency bathroom away from the teardrop. I don't want anyone using the restroom that close to my camper - including myself. I figure this way I can stuff that puppy back in the woods and use it if the campgrounds bathrooms aren't working, or if I want to take a shower, or just change clothes.

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques