Portable Belt Sander 101

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Mary K » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:17 pm

No Roly, I dont have a table saw. :( Wish I did though. But, I do know a cabinet maker that can do it for me.

Thanks,
Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Podunkfla » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:31 pm

I WISH I would have thought of doing the skill saw (circular saw) thing earlier in the build. But its no to late, I still have exterior trim to do.

:thinking: Got any ideas on making a planner out of the belt sander? I can not find 1/4" thick boards for the top trim...still... ;)

Mk

MaryK... I will be glad to rip you up some trim and even run it through the planer... for free. Only thing is I'm about 4 hours East of you... driving over here at 3 bucks a gal. or shipping long stuff is kinda spendy?

Another, prolly better idea is, check with A real local lumber supplier like Meredith & Sons... They have been around for eons. Four generation I think. I'm sure they know of some local woodworkers or even have some that work there that could rip you up some trim. It really shouldn't cost much more than the cost of the wood... cause it's a 10 minute job. They prolly sell clear fir and poplar to trim carpenters of new houses all the time. Most any trim man could also do it for you. Just some thought on the subject. http://www.meredithonline.com/about.html

friend ~ Brick
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby tonyj » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:39 pm

Roly,

A curved skid plate? What a great idea! Any chance you could provide a picture? Would love to see how you attach it.

I get a little more mileage out of my belts by using one of those big ribber erasers. It really helps extend the life of those expensive belts.

Great tutorial. thank you.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mary K » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:38 am

Awwa, that is a sweet offer Brick. Wish we lived closer. Your a good man. :thumbsup: I purchased my 1/8" birch skin from Meredith & Sons. I will go by there an talk to em. It's only 5 min from work.

Tonyj, Big ribber erasers? What? What are you talking aboot? OHhhh, tehehe, Rubber eraser... That is an good idea, I can see how that would help. :thumbsup:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:44 am

Tony, I'm lucky I've mastered posting words on this board, posting pics is still a problem for me. Now, about that curved skid plate. All I did was bandsaw the proper radius on one side of a flat board that is 1/4" longer and the same width as the metal skid plate. The thin ends are a mear 1/8" thick, and I fastened a small cleat on the front end that butts up against the skid plate. The belt, while turning wants to slide it backwards, but the wooden cleat prevents it.

Now you've thrown down the gauntlet, I'll take a pic and see if my daughter can post it for me. Then I'll write down all the steps she goes through, about finding my teardrop pics and getting them the right size and finally posted........whew, harder than working with wood.

Roly, not quite 'puter lit-rit, but trying :oops:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby tonyj » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:30 am

Mary K wrote:
Tonyj, Big ribber erasers? What? What are you talking aboot? OHhhh, tehehe, Rubber eraser... That is an good idea, I can see how that would help. :thumbsup:

Mk

Oops. Right--rubber erasers. Sorry, I try very hard to keep my muspillings to a munimim.

Roly--thanks. I think I understand, but don't give up on the pics. You do such nice work I know everyone would enjoy seeing more.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:34 am

Roly Nelson wrote:Tony, I'm lucky I've mastered posting words on this board, posting pics is still a problem for me. Now, about that curved skid plate. All I did was bandsaw the proper radius on one side of a flat board that is 1/4" longer and the same width as the metal skid plate. The thin ends are a mear 1/8" thick, and I fastened a small cleat on the front end that butts up against the skid plate. The belt, while turning wants to slide it backwards, but the wooden cleat prevents it.

Now you've thrown down the gauntlet, I'll take a pic and see if my daughter can post it for me. Then I'll write down all the steps she goes through, about finding my teardrop pics and getting them the right size and finally posted........whew, harder than working with wood.

Roly, not quite 'puter lit-rit, but trying :oops:

Roly, photo bucket will automatically size for posting. You might get your daughter to help you set up a site with them. Posting is easier after that. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby s4son » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:51 pm

Roly,
Can you write up something for using a router? It is one tool that really intrigues me. It looks like it will do lots of stuff and I have no experience what so ever.

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:45 pm

Scott, I 'm afraid you are asking the wrong guy to instruct you on router use. I am just a basic router user, have used one for years, often while working as a carpenter in the field. Now I have 4 of them, all for different uses.

There are many uses for this versetile tool. Most of my router use is for rounding over sharp corners. Cutting a rabbet on the edge of a board is very quick and accurate. Making daddos for shelves in cabintry is a snap if a sliding, clamp-on T-square guide is used. Then there is the little trick of following a pre-made curved template to produce duplicate parts. What a tool, I love it and wouldn't be without it.

These are just a few uses that work for me, but I do believe Doug would be able to fill you in better than I can. As a matter of fact, wasn't it Madjack that said he had more than a dozen routers of various sizes? You can invest quite a sum of coin, buying the various carbide-tipped tools on that are on the market today. Years ago, we sharpened our own, and they dulled quickly. Such is modern progress........

Roly, happy to have experienced a weekend of Teardropping in the So Calif mountains. :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Joanne » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:24 pm

Yes you do!! I just saw the picture of your new baby. :lol: :lol:

Joanne

Mary K wrote:No Roly, I dont have a table saw. :( Wish I did though. But, I do know a cabinet maker that can do it for me.

Thanks,
Mk
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Mary K » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:55 pm

Joanne wrote:Yes you do!! I just saw the picture of your new baby. :lol: :lol:

Joanne

Mary K wrote:No Roly, I dont have a table saw. :( Wish I did though. But, I do know a cabinet maker that can do it for me.

Thanks,
Mk

:D :D Yup!! That was me 2 days ago. Trying to plan my trim was becoming a nightmare. Blablabla, all talk and no action. Call this place and that place and see if they have ..... Fergetit!!! I doit myself now :thumbsup:

Now, what was it I was going to do??? And how do I doit??? :scratchthinking: :lol:

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby KA » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:37 am

Thanks Roly,
You do a great job of explaning how to use the sander.
Kris :)
KA
Donating Member

Postby nikwax » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:49 am

Mary K wrote:Oh, I have clamped my sander to my workbench and clamped the trigger (no trigger lock) for some small detail wood work. I'm sure there is a fancy piece of equipment to do this for a real wood shop, But hey, learn to work with what ya got huh?

Mk

you can clamp a belt sander in a bench vise (helps to have wooden jaws in the vise) and use it as a stationary sander.
nikwax
Silver Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:25 pm

Excellent Roly :thumbsup: :applause: I couldn't have said it better. Just one thing. You probably learned like I did on the old heavy locomotive shaped sanders that required the operator to start it in the air not on the work piece. Those heavy machines would ruin the wood to start on the workpiece. In the Cabinet shops I've worked in over the years some require the newer lighter sanders to be started on the work piece to avoid having less experienced workers from tilting the sander on contact and gouging the wood. My preferred method is like yours but I recommend novice operators to start the sander on the wood. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:23 pm

Danny, I enjoyed your explaination of the "locomotive shaped sander". I remember them well. If my memory serves me right, I think the motor was mounted with the stator on a shaft facing forward and back. This always torqued the machine as soon as we pulled the trigger, plus it seemed to be top heavy, to boot.

Some craftsmen have the same complaint with the Skil-saw, with the motor mounted in the same way, with a drive gear changing the direction in order to turn the blade, which is on the left. By the way, it is the only Skil-saw that I ever use. Just can't get used to having to look over the right side of the saw to see the blade, while the teeth are throwing wood chips into my eyes.

Roly, enjoying my workshop more and more every day. (just bought a 12 inch surface planer.......Sears, was 50 bucks off, and works great)
Last edited by Roly Nelson on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques