What wood for a woody?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Ira » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:01 pm

Dave....

Holy CRAP!!!

AWESOME!!!

And by any chance, if you have two extra fenders of those laying around, please send!!!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:00 pm

Thanks Ira, Steve, and Doug...Your posts keep me going!!! At this point.. I've pretty much Juneau-ized Len's Slumbercoach (my inspiration) and the traditional lines of Andrew's plans (our T&TTT design guru). Sorry guys, I didn't mean to...I just got carried away...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously to BK...I think for a woody, it really doesn't matter whether you use oak, mahogany, birch, or whatever. It's all in building what you want, and getting the look that you want. Of course, some woods are easier to work with than others. Take a look at all the Tears on the board and go for it!!!!

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby BK One » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:57 pm

Thanks for all the opinions. We picked up some luan today thanks to Bledos's photos. As much as my wife likes oak, she stared at the oak and luan side by side and preferred the big grain patterns in the luan. And the color after epoxy on Bledsoe's is just what she was looking for. We'll prefinish some scraps first to see if she still likes it. If not, I'll get something else. Not out much for trying luan first.

It's amazing how all the things "I" am going to do to "my" trailer have become all the things "we" are going to do to "our" trailer!
BK One
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tear Les » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:21 pm

BK One wrote:It's amazing how all the things "I" am going to do to "my" trailer have become all the things "we" are going to do to "our" trailer!

:thumbsup:

Doesn't get any better than that!
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:59 pm

Brian, if I had to do it all over again, I would have chosen a better grade of plywood. Before I started, I stacked about 20 sheets of cheap lauan plywood on both sides of the isle at Home Depot and selected the sheets that matched one another. Didn't make many points with the lumber manager, even though I replaced them later. I still see imperfections that bother me on my tear. So, spring for the good stuff, you will be glad later.

Roly ~~
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby J.C. » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:40 pm

Juneaudave wrote:What wood for a woody???? Oohhhh...I don't know...maybe oak, ash, red cedar, yellow cedar, purple heart...whatever you have laying around :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow! I can see already, this is going to be one beautiful tear when it's done. Very very nice graphics you've built up there with the different varieties of wood. :applause:

How ya gonna get the purple heart to stay purple out in the UV? Ya got some more pics somewhere?

J.C.

:o Sorry about the hijack BK
J.C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:49 pm

Shucks J.C., I didn't know that purple heart would oxidize and fade away. Hopefully the finish will protect it. One thing I have learned about that wood....it's not real good for a stripper!!! It's way too hard to mill. I wanted to go with mahogany, but just couldn't find any good stuff up here in Juneau. Sorry...no more pics except for todays work!!! I'm still trying to figure out a pattern for that lower front corner...but sooner or later, someone will post a design that I can cobb!!!

Juneaudave

Postby rbeemer » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:54 pm

Dave,

To protect the purple heart your finish will have to be UV Proof. The purple heart will turn a dark brownish-purple
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Fenders

Postby legend lime » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:38 am

Juneaudave
If I may ask where did you get your fenders I have been looking in my area for that type but with no luck. nice tear it's really going to look good when you get the finish applyed.
Legned Lime, Acworth, GA
legend lime
Teardrop Master

Postby Juneaudave » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:58 am

L.T...Those are Grant's at Li'l Bear. He is a joy to work with, and he has several styles. Lot's of builders on the board use his parts. :thumbsup:
Juneaudave

Postby J.C. » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:03 pm

Juneaudave wrote:Shucks J.C., I didn't know that purple heart would oxidize and fade away. Hopefully the finish will protect it. One thing I have learned about that wood....it's not real good for a stripper!!! It's way too hard to mill. I wanted to go with mahogany, but just couldn't find any good stuff up here in Juneau. Sorry...no more pics except for todays work!!! I'm still trying to figure out a pattern for that lower front corner...but sooner or later, someone will post a design that I can cobb!!!

Dave,
I decided to question the folks at a wood working forum that I belong to and see if they had any good suggestions on maintaining the coplor of your "purple heart".

I'm afraid that the consensus was not real promising nor were the responses always on subject , sorry, but here's what I got.....

Title: Purple heart ??
Post by: John C. in Michigan on June 24, 2007, 11:38:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know of someone that is using purple heart as one of the many types of wood he's chosen for the graphics on the sides of his teardrop trailer.

(http://www.jcshop.netfirms.com/purple.jpg)

He did this before he was aware that the purple Heart would not hold it's color out in the UV.

Anybody got a good suggestion what he should use as a finish to keep the color in the wood.

Thanks,
J.C.

Pretty right now though, aint it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Purple heart ??
Post by: Jeff S. from Austin on June 24, 2007, 11:57:49 PM

Just go with the flow... It will turn a wonderful chocolate brown.

Beautiful trailer!

Jeff

Post by: Jerry in Michigan on June 25, 2007, 05:34:53 AM

Wow! That's a beautiful creation there! Hope we see a pic of it after it's been finished!!

Post by: Rich in MA on June 25, 2007, 06:06:26 AM

Are there any good UV protective clear coats?

Post by: Tokyo Stu Ablett on June 25, 2007, 06:19:08 AM

Purple paint........... :D

I'd say anything you put on it, will only slow down the color change.

Nice looking trailer for sure!

Title: siekins makes probably the best....
Post by: Pat Copper on June 25, 2007, 06:26:17 AM

but, uh, a trailer?? Like actually being outside and stuff, in the sun. Methinks him gonna be doin' it every year for, oh, about 5 years till he gets sick of sanding/squirtin' and covers 'er up with trailer alum. siding. Damn sure does LOOK cool, but practical, I ain't too sure. 'course, "weathered grey" is a WONDERFULL color too.

Title: Re: siekins makes probably the best....
Post by: Tokyo Stu Ablett on June 25, 2007, 07:10:36 AM

Quote from: Pat Copper on Today at 06:26:17 AM
but, uh, a trailer?? Like actually being outside and stuff, in the sun. Methinks him gonna be doin' it every year for, oh, about 5 years till he gets sick of sanding/squirtin' and covers 'er up with trailer alum. siding. Damn sure does LOOK cool, but practical, I ain't too sure. 'course, "weathered grey" is a WONDERFULL color too.

Could be like one of them beautiful Chris Craft boats, my dad's friend had one, what a beaut, but boy they took a LOT of work to keep them that way (worth it, IMHO).

Never know, this trailer may not be used much, and might even get a garage for the winter?

A nice Chris Craft Runabout below!! ;D

Post by: Jeff S. from Austin on June 25, 2007, 07:54:44 AM

That's a gorgeous boat!

Post by: Cincy Steve on June 25, 2007, 09:09:55 AM

spar varnish probably has the most UV protection but nothing will last very long- Couple years is all I guess spar varnish would hold out for.

Post by: Dick Grage on June 25, 2007, 09:23:33 AM

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Dick1/W8.jpg)
The one in left front is maple with purpleheart accent strips, the one on the right is maple with Padauk accent strips, both finished with clear-coat water based polyurethane, that probably doesn't have any UV protection.

Some of the ones in back are oak with purpleheart accent strips finished with Formby's Tung Oil. Others are oak with Padauk strips; finished with Tung Oil. After they dry and age awhile, it is hard to distinguish the purpleheart from the Padauk as they both darken to about the same degree from Tung Oil.

Post by: KenC on June 25, 2007, 01:21:54 PM

A good grade automotive urethane clear. They have lots of UV protection in them. Lack of that is what caused so many of them to fail in the 80s and the paint companies learned there lesson well. They now have much more UV protection.

Still won't last forever, but it is his best shot.

But, that stuff is expensive, it's gonna run $80.00 gallon up( could be way up) depending on brand.

Post by: Jon Weisenbach on June 25, 2007, 02:38:04 PM

John...
I've used plain ole' Watco Natural on all my interior stuff with great long lasting results. For outdoor Purple heart I have found that Messemer's hardwood version has lasted for several years on a couple of outdoor projects I have done and retained the "Purple" color really well. It's pricey as hell but seems to do the job.

Post by: Phil Lieberman on June 25, 2007, 02:47:29 PM

Thats a sweet looking TearDrop trailer Wow,i just looked at one when i was at the beach last week but it had a stainless steel skin on it. I turned a block of the Purple Heart years ago and its not cheap stuff 40 bucks for a small block 8" x 8" x 4" ! And i do remember it was a brown color when i finished it and after time it turned the purple color.

Title: Wow Phil that's really high!
Post by: Jon Weisenbach on June 25, 2007, 03:32:55 PM

"I turned a block of the Purple Heart years ago and its not cheap stuff 40 bucks for a small block 8" x 8" x 4" ! "

Geez, I can get 5/4 6" car siding with the lap joint sides here for $3/bf which is cheaper than red oak around here...
J.C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Juneaudave » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:14 pm

Thanks John...really interesting replies...Sounds like I better give this Tear to one of the kids before it needs refinishing!!!
Juneaudave

Postby doug hodder » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:46 pm

Dave, you can dose it with aniline dye prior to top coating, might at least keep some of the purple color...but it will fade out faster than you'd think...epoxy with varnish or auto clear is about as good as the protection will get...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:08 pm

Juneaudave wrote:Thanks John...really interesting replies...Sounds like I better give this Tear to one of the kids before it needs refinishing!!!

Gosh Dave I am so sorry to hear your tear will be such a bad thing. You know I care a great deal about your feeling here so I will make Mike allow me to take it for you and hide it in the wilds of Missouri. Just out of the kindness of my heart you understand.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:19 pm

That's a shame... the purple is so pretty now. Take lots of pictures. Give it to the kids before it turns... :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques