design change, need ideas/advice

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

design change, need ideas/advice

Postby slowpoke » Mon May 03, 2004 11:53 pm

Well I have changed the interior layout of the camper, yet no pics to show. Here is my problem, (I have very little wood working skills) hence this project to learn. On the Baja benroy door as it relates to what I want to do......... I am going to have about 4 areas of the side walls that will fold down, screened behind the fold down doors. So picture the door folding down vs swinging out.
1. Whats the best type of hinge to use? I am thinkin piano since it will be at the bottom
2 In order to help create a seal when closed would T molding work for the three sides of the fold downs?
3. To lock the fold downs at the top do you think a cam lock would work? other ideas? I would need something to pull it tight to be water proof.

Hope this makes sense.
thx
slowpoke
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 04, 2004 5:27 am

Hey Slowpoke,

I think what you described will work just fine. If you put a good seal behind the t-molding, and then pull it tight, and also have a diverter above the door, you should be dry. I would do one last thing. I would also seal the edge of the frame at the bottom of the door, so that when you open the door, and some rain drips down, it doesn't get inside the wood and do damage.

The screen door I bought at home depot had the bottom edge sealed with roofing tar, and then covered with a foil tape.

My door frame is sealed with CPES and then I will put two coats of Aliphatic 255 on it. http://www.rotdoctor.com/poly/polymain.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tdhombre » Tue May 04, 2004 7:02 pm

Interesting design concept - I THINK I know what you are planning on.

How about swinging the doors UP (hinging them on the top?) This might provide a little extra protection from the sun if supported perpendicular to the body. They would be out of the way as well rather than hanging below the openings.

I hope you will post some pictures as you progress in your construction.

Good Luck.

:)
tdhombre
Teardrop Advisor

Postby slowpoke » Tue May 04, 2004 10:22 pm

That was my original plan, the openings were set to be 4'x8' on each side and fold up to act as a canopy. Which i still may do, with the new interior layout it opened up part of my storage area, which really does not matter I guess. If i put in 4 smaller openings I think it might restrict the breeze to much during the hot summer months. I taped paper to the side tonight and cut the new design I was thinking and I believe it would restrict to much air. Guess I need to quit thinking and get busy.. :D
Will be getting some pics up this weekend and hopefully have the sides up. I have vacation 6/1 and plan heading to the beach for several days.
slowpoke
Teardrop Builder

Postby slowpoke » Thu May 20, 2004 9:37 pm

Update, no big window to open on the sides, we now have 3 small windows. When using T molding on the foldouts what would be the best rubber seal to use to work with T molding?
slowpoke
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques