Filon Source

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Frank » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:10 pm

Steve,

Could you get a # of that shop? The shipping maybe cheaper from NY than from Col.

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:22 pm

Frank wrote:Steve,

Could you get a # of that shop? The shipping maybe cheaper from NY than from Col.

Frank

Here's thier website,http://www.alpinhaus.com/, no parts on it, but, there's a phone number. I know they have the insert molding. I almost got some 'til I decided to build in wood. They are a branch of Camping World Maybe that's a way to go too!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby TomS » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:06 pm

I just found another online source for Filon. http://www.all-rite.com/

The web site doesn't provide pricing information. But, they'll ship it in 4', 8' and 8.5' widths.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:03 pm

What is Filon? Is it a fiberglass material? It seems like it would be much cheaper to fiberglass it yourself than pay that much for the Filon material. I guess you're really paying for the convenience of the finish?

I fiberglassed my tear (epoxy & glass about $200) and bought way too much epoxy. I probably could have gotten away with $150 or less if I hadn't ordered so much resin and hardener. Just another option to consider while finishing these campers.

BTW, I primered my camper today. :thumbsup: Here's a pic: http://www.stevewolverton.com/tear32.JPG

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TomS » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:23 pm

Steve Wolverton writes:

What is Filon? Is it a fiberglass material? It seems like it would be much cheaper to fiberglass it yourself than pay that much for the Filon material. I guess you're really paying for the convenience of the finish?

Filon is a common fiberglass reinforced panel used in the RV industry.

I fiberglassed my tear (epoxy & glass about $200) and bought way too much epoxy. I probably could have gotten away with $150 or less if I hadn't ordered so much resin and hardener. Just another option to consider while finishing these campers.

Steve, I hadn’t considered fiberglassing my tear. After looking over your web site, I think it is an option worth exploring.

Is this material difficult to work with?

Also, what about scratch resistance of the painted fiberglass? My fiberglass canoe shows every scratch. Is it possible to mix a pigment in with the epoxy so that scratches don’t show?
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:48 pm

TomS wrote:I just found another online source for Filon. http://www.all-rite.com/

I think all-rite has the most expensive prices on the face of the earth!!! I remember pricing windows at $900+ each, and the filon for the Baja Benroy would have been over $3000. :shock:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:01 pm

Mike writes:

I think all-rite has the most expensive prices on the face of the earth!!! I remember pricing windows at $900+ each, and the filon for the Baja Benroy would have been over $3000.

Well I guess, that explains why they don't publish thier prices online. :thumbdown:

Thanks for the heads-up!
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:15 am

TomS - There really isn't anything difficult about working with fiberglass. Teardrops are easy to glass because of their flat surfaces.

If you have the skills to construct a teardrop then you'll find fiberglassing is one of the easier parts of the build. It is messy, and I always wear old clothes and latex gloves, but it's a simple process.

I would recommend reading the primer at RAKA.com.

http://www.raka.com/UserManual.html

I've used RAKA epoxies and fiberglass on my current project, but there are others including West Systems, System 3, US Composites, etc. All of these products are good epoxy systems.

As for abrasion, the finish would only be as strong as the paint. There are pigments that you can add to the epoxy for coloration, but I've never worked with them so I can't comment on them. I do know that it's highly recommend that the epoxy be painted because UV rays will eventually break the epoxy down.

I just like the really clean look of fiberglass, it's easy to clean, and waterproofness.

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:40 am

I'd add that epoxy is the quality product to use for sheathing - if you're after a 20+ year life, it's the way to go. But for a big cost reduction, you can use ordinary polyester laminating resin. It's a bit smellier to work with, but does not risk the skin reaction that can come from unprotected contact with epoxies and it is a more forgiving product for the novice to use.

The easiest way to make the comparison is that epoxy is equivalent to a hardwood and polyester is equivalent to a softwood (and which is your house made of?). :thinking:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby TomS » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:15 pm

Thanks for the excellent information. A 20+ year life is EXACTLY what I'm after. :thumbsup:
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:53 pm

steve wolverton wrote:
I just like the really clean look of fiberglass, it's easy to clean, and waterproofness.

Steve

How a pictorial of fiberglassing techniques when you do yours? ;)
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:30 pm

bdosborn - Mine is already glassed. I have a few pics, but I didn't do a step by step.

http://www.stevewolverton.com/teardrop.html

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:55 am

steve wolverton wrote:bdosborn - Mine is already glassed. I have a few pics, but I didn't do a step by step.

Steve

But don't look at Steve's site if you want a description of how to sand, as he's keeping that a secret....... :twisted:

Actually, having worked in boatbuilding, sanding is not quite as obvious as it seems - for example, most novices need to get taught about using hard sanding blocks to produce a flat surface.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:22 pm

steve wolverton wrote:bdosborn - Mine is already glassed. I have a few pics, but I didn't do a step by step.

Steve

Hmmm, it doesn't look as hard as I thought it would be. Oh well, next trailer.
:lol:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Filon

Postby Shorty » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:37 pm

Let the Buyer beware. Stay away from GE. I very recently sent him a check for Filon about a month ago and have not received a thing. In fact, now that he has the money, he won't reply to emails....This guy scammed me. He costed me $310. Things that are to good to be true usually are.
Shorty
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques