Exterior Trim Pics - Added Rain Diverter

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby sdtripper2 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:06 pm

Jack:

Many choices with Sikaflex ~

There are so many Silkaflex products I wonder how you chose the 221 product for the flexible adhesiveImage

I see the SIKAFLEX 521 UV WHITE 14.5 OZ has a high UV factor and maybe that would work better for TD'sImage

I also see many boat applications where sun and water are the issue as it is with a trailer.]

Again here are the specs of the many products:

Technical Data Sheets & Material Safety Data Sheets for SikaFlex products
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Mary K » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:22 pm

Steve, I noticed that too. Don't it make ya crazy??? :wacky

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:24 pm

Steve, I spent a lot of time on the SikaFlex website reading the MSDS, TDS and other info available...there is a lot of it...for ease of use, cost, availability, the first thing I did was reject any of the two part components, next, I basically eliminated any of the marine products since while similar, they are for MUCH harsher environments than you TD will ever see and I focused on the OEM manufacturing products...there are several in that range of products from the 221 which is primarily a sealer up to some that read "when using this product, mechanical fastening is not needed"...soooo now we come to cost and effectiveness...221 has the better pricing AND it is available in black, white and grey and it is an excellent sealer with some adhesive characteristics allowing removal and replacement of components...also, along the way I talked with several very knowledgeable folks in the auto body repair business about body panel adhesives...using all of this info I came to the conclusion about 221...I have previously been using auto windshield sealant adhesive(uerthane based, as is the SF) based on personal test of many other sealants and have decided on using the 221, which is about half the cost...one last deciding factor was SikaFlex's reputation in the manufacturing sectors, which seems to be very high....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby sdtripper2 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:35 pm

Jack:

Thank You.... 8)

So you would skip the Sikaflex 221 SF product and select the Sikaflex 221 = Joy
End of story ... based on all your above explained decision making with co$t being the final factorImage

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby madjack » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:48 pm

Steve...final factor...I am not sure about a final factor...I did a lot of research both physically and on the internet on the subject...cost, availability and ease of use did ultimately make my decision...so maybe final, would be the word...but it is just so...final :D ;) ...there are a lotta sealants and adhesives out there and this choice(of mine) is based on my researches and not actual usage of the product...hopefully by the time the LCGII rolls around, I will have personal ancedotal evidence to present...
madjack 8)

p.s. FYI...we tried/experimented with many different sealants...silicone, siliconized acrylic, acrylic, butyl rubber, urethane based...anything we could find locally and decided upon the urethane based 1part auto windshield sealant/adhesive, which is only available in black...I THINK(dangerous) that the 221 will be an improvement on this and is available in black, white and grey........MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Mary K » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:49 pm

Trumpets : :M da Da DAAAAAA :M

Loud Booming Voice "Da Man Has Spoken" "And it was GOOD"

Chorus sings :M "Ah Ah AHHHH Ah Ah" :M

Thanks AGAIN and AGAIN, MJ!!

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:58 pm

...your welcome MK...I will say this...there are many, many products out there...some are better at some things and some are better at others...ALWAYS, read, follow and understand all directions(heresy, some would say) and of course as in all things...YMMV.............
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby tonyj » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:07 am

I've been following this post, and have to agree with MJ. I used the SikaFlex 221 for all the trim on mine (aluminum) and have been very pleased. It adheres well to the aluminum, trims nicely, dries fast, and as yet, shown no tendency to separate from the aluminum. As an added plus, after it dries and hardens (it always stays flexible like a hard silicone), it can be sanded, which I have done, and they say it can be painted. I see no reason whey it would exhibit the same qualities attaching to wood.

As to the "SF" that Steve added, I have no experience with it, but if I read correctly and it is an "odor" issue (offgassing), I really didn't detect any appreciable odor from the normal 221 when applying, and none after it had dried. I'm sure they charge more for each letter they add, but for me, it wasn't worth investigating further.

I give the product high marks.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Exterior Trim Pics - Added Rain Diverter

Postby nrody » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:28 pm

Can anyone tell me what kind of rubber strip is used over the galley hinge? is it uv protected? And where can I get it?
nrody
Nancy
nrody
Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:24 pm

nrody wrote:Can anyone tell me what kind of rubber strip is used over the galley hinge? is it uv protected? And where can I get it?

link to thread on rubber across hinge Some use bicycle rubber and some use fire hose rubber in this thread:

Good links to read on the subject of galley hinge treatments and more

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby nrody » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:28 pm

I was looking at shower pan liner today, then wondered about uv resistance
nrody
Nancy
nrody
Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 pm

I wonder if pool liner would work?
I mean the stuff they use for landscaping to line the bottom of roughed in man made streams using a pump system.

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby nrody » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:35 pm

Like pond liner?
nrody
Nancy
nrody
Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:42 pm

I was just reading this link

These two rubbers seem to be used in the black pool liners.
Butyl is a close relative of EPDM. It is a little more durable and commands a higher price tag. Like EPDM, it typically comes in 45- and 60-mil (0.11- or 0.15-cm) thicknesses and installs in the same manner.

Positive aspects of EPDM include a long life span, ability to withstand temperature extremes and excellent tear and puncture resistance.

My cousin had some of this man made brook liner and it was thick and he said it had UV protection. But let me just say this isn't proven by me and yet this stuff was flexible and very tough to withstand stones and roots on a given brook or Koi pond making.

You might find an landscaper who has a remnant or a small section for you to buy?

EPDM is used on RV's Example link

What is Butyl Rubber Example link

Butyl Rubber strips different sizes

Butyl Rubber hatch 2 1/2inch size

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby nrody » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:59 pm

I may try the fire hose if I can get a wide enough piece. It should be easy for me to get as I work for the FD. The only problem is the way my hatch opens the span may need to be about 8 to 10 inches wide. I really do not know how to post photos or I would post one. Basically the hatch lid kind of cantilevers, When the hatch is closed the top edge of the hatch tucks under the roof edge. When open the hatch top edge of the hatch drops down from the roof edge.
nrody
Nancy
nrody
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques