Attaching the ceiling panel

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Attaching the ceiling panel

Postby Wild Mike » Fri May 07, 2004 9:13 am

Tomorrow I'm starting to assemble my tear ... WoooooHoooo :D

The question I have is what should I use to attach the 1/8 Luan ply ceiling to the roofbows? I don't think I should use my brad nailer ... I figure it should have more of a head to it to help hold it until the glue dries.

Whatzz ya think ?

Wild Mike
Wild Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chip » Fri May 07, 2004 9:23 am

havent gotten that far yet Mike,,how bout a 2x4 or three and make a prop to hold in place till the glue sets up,,,wedge it between the floor and the celing panel at the cross bow,,,just thinking out loud

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Wild Mike » Fri May 07, 2004 9:37 am

I guess Im just too old school and would like to put some staples or screw or something besides just the glue. :oops:

But I had thought about using something to prop up the ceiling ... besides the guy helping me that is. :lol:

Wild Mike
Wild Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Postby josephhanson » Fri May 07, 2004 9:38 am

I am building a trailer large enough to stand up in and attached all my 1/8" luan with PL glue. Great stuff! Clamp or brace the panels in place , let stand for 24 hours and they won't come loose. My ceiling don't have any nails or screws at all. Good luck, Joe
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon May 10, 2004 8:25 am

Wild Mike, I built my Tear from the inside out. That is, I fabricated the walls first,with a "ledge" at the headliner. I wrapped the headliner over this ledge. It just fell into place :wink:. I added the roof spars after the headliner placement, glued into place, no fasteners, except to the walls. As for brads, I used an electric brad nailer/stapler to fasten everything that was hidden. Even in exposed areas, the nail head is small enough to not be seen after stain/varnish. Check out my Build Journal for more mayhem!
I hope this helps,
Blessings, Steve
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Joseph » Mon May 10, 2004 9:06 am

Wild Mike wrote:I guess Im just too old school and would like to put some staples or screw or something besides just the glue

I felt the same way, Mike, but I used PL Premium Construction Adhesive and I guarantee the wood will break before the bond does.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby George T. » Sun May 16, 2004 8:47 am

Greeetings from Colorado Mike!

I used 1/8" tempered masonite [water proof glue] for my ceiling. I glued the panel to the ribs with Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive. I held the panel in place with #6 X 3/4" wood screws while the adhesive cured. After the adhesive had cured, I went back, countersunk all of the screws and filled in the holes with wood putty. Later, sanded it all down and painted it with a Navajo White kitchen/bath semi-gloss paint.

Two reasons. The kitchen/bath semi-gloss is durable and a snap to clean. Just wipe/wash it down. I used the same method on the inside of the galley hatch... Secondly, the "white" ceiling brightens up the interior of the teardrop. Gives it a feeling of spaciousness. With the natural "unstained" double bead tongue & groove pine walls, the interior is nice and bright.

George
George T.
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 16, 2004 10:02 am

I did it just the opposite of you George. I painted my walls white, and left the ceiling wood.

The walls lighten it up quite a bit, but the light doesn't come from the ceiling like it might in a home.

I've done it both ways, actually, and both ways are ok! Better than an all wood interior! :)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques