marine grade plywood

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

marine grade plywood

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:32 pm

From what I've seen, it seems that most builders are using exterior grade plywoods in their trailers. My 49 Kit had a leak and had some serious delaminations. Is there anyone out there that is using marine grade plywoods. I've built some boats and am thinking that this is the way to go, especially on the sub floor. Any feedback?
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby steve wolverton » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:05 pm

doug hodder - Nothing wrong with that at all. Most of us probably shy away from it because of the cost. If I had the money, I'd use it. It's probably overkill when you can seal the bottom of the plywood using paint/epoxy/emulsion/whatever.

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grant whipp » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:58 pm

"... Is there anyone out there that is using marine grade plywoods? ..."

Doug!

Both exterior grade plywood and marine grade plywood use the same glues. The only advntage to marine grade is that there are no voids in the inner layers. Now, if you're talking marine grade mahogany or okume(sp?) or other, those are wole 'nuther animals I know little or nothing about ... ;-} ;-} ... I've built my boats from 'glass or luan!

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Eric Adams » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:31 pm

Used Advantech for my floor. Mattress will cover it anyhow. Advantech is exterior rated and has a 50yr warrantee. You can submerge it for a limited time with no problems. I knew someone who had water on top of his for a couple of days and had no warpage. Best thing is that a 4' X 8' sheet 3/4" thick ran me $21.80 a sheet. :) 8)
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:17 pm

Grant.... thanks for the kick in the head...I completely forgot about the glues. I'm having a time switching from completely marine environments to a trailer type application. I always overbuild. I guess my concern is getting the woody look in the correct woods that will hold up in weather. I think I will be ok if I epoxy encapsulate. I'm thinking of a fir side, with a mohogany overlay on the exterior, and a birch interior. Maple frames on the exterior. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby KZ76017 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:16 pm

Eric Adams wrote:Used Advantech for my floor. Mattress will cover it anyhow. Advantech is exterior rated and has a 50yr warrantee. You can submerge it for a limited time with no problems. I knew someone who had water on top of his for a couple of days and had no warpage. Best thing is that a 4' X 8' sheet 3/4" thick ran me $21.80 a sheet. :) 8)

Eric Adams...Where'd you buy that Advantech floor?
KZ76017
Teardrop Master

ordinary lumber yard lumber

Postby ugh » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:24 pm

Hey Doug,

I built a little row boat for a buddy of mine. I used lauan underlay for the sides with 1/2" ac on the bottom. I glued it toghther with exterior liquid nails, epoxied the outside, primed the whole thing with thinned out liquid nails, painted it with semi gloss ext. house paint and it still looks good after 8 years of use and abuse by a whole bunch of us 200 lbs. children.

I have moved on to just encapsulation with a finish of exterior polyurathane for UV protection. Man it looks so good on some of those choice pieces of moisture resistant mohogany or lauan underlayment.

The best part is, underlayment only costs around ten bucks a sheet around here.

ugh
ugh
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques