Source for 1/8 plywood - CUBBY

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Source for 1/8 plywood - CUBBY

Postby BILLYL » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:34 am

Howdy-

Been putting my shopping list together and having a hard time finding a source of 1/8 ply. Anyone have a source in the Mid Atlantic area? Or what alternatives can you suggest?

Also - for the floor framing can I use 2x2 pressure treated then riping down a 2x4?

As always - great site and great advice

BILL
Gaithersburg, MD
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby JunkMan » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:30 pm

I couldn't find 1/8 ply in my area, but found some metric Baltic Birch plywood that was about 5/32" in 5' X 5" sheets at a local hardwood supply store that caters to cabinet builders.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby norm perkiss » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:52 pm

Bill,

This is probablly obvious but, be careful ripping the "treated" lumber. They used to use arsnic to treat the wood. Something just as nasty now days I'm sure.
Just an FYI.

Norm
norm perkiss
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ken » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:11 pm

Second question, ripping treated 2 by 4’s, try it once before you purchase 20 or 30 2X4’s and cut every one in half. Take one 2 by 4, cut in half length ways, look at what you have, what you will end up with is two 2 by 2’s so crooked they wouldn’t make good kindling if they were seasoned oak.

First question, 1/8 inch birch plywood is easy to find, it’s expensive. Get out of the HD and Lowe’s, go to the lumber yards where the cabined and boat builders go, look in the yellow pages under Lumber, look for the small listings , 1 to 3 lines. In your metropolitan area 1/8 cabined grade plywood is easy to find.

Ron, we need some help here
Ken
Keeper of the Green Key

Postby BILLYL » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:03 am

Thanks-

I think I found a source but as mentioned above - this stuff is expensive. Will look at the panel idea and the 1/4 luan bending jig that Tony mentione in a previous thread.

BILL
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

baltic birch

Postby doug hodder » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:10 pm

Watch using Baltic Birch. I love it, great stuff, but it comes from the Soviet Union , if it's true Baltic Birch, so check your dimensions. It is not exterior rated so if that's your use, seal it off well. it does finish off nicely though. Ken brings up a good point. You're better off to get kiln dried 2x4's, and rip them, even then they may twist and curl. You can always coat them out with Jasco wood preservative, an arsenic based preservative used for fence posts, available at Home Depot . You'll know as soon as you rip one and it curls whether or not it is usable. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby lmh222 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:55 am

This place will ship anywhere in the USA - it is fairly expensive but they offer marine grade plywood in 1/8", wacky plywood (bends very easily in only one direction because the grain of all layers is oriented the same direction), just about any size that you'd ever need, and some really exotic woods that might be fun for adding unique touches.

http://www.boulterplywood.com/

They're located near Boston, MA which is actually only about 45 min from my mother's house (4 hours from my house) I'm planning to go there this weekend to pick up some supplies.

I've heard that the differences between interior and exterior plywood have to do with the glue that holds the layers together. Some glues are water soluble and will disolve in damp conditions (then, of course, the plywood will fall apart!). That has led me to lean more toward purchasing the expensive Marine-grade plywood for my exterior roof (woodie tear). Any thoughts on this?? Does that all sound logical or do you think splurging on the marine-grade is a waste of money (it is only $39 per sheet so hardly a huge investment but Lowes has "exterior" 1/4 sheets for $11 each!).

Lindsey
The difference between being involved and being commited is like eggs and bacon - the chicken was involved but the pig was commited.

http://www.teardrop.myphotoalbum.com
lmh222
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TomS » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:04 pm

Hi Lindsay,

Please, let us know how you make out at Boulter Plywood. I live near Worcester and plan to my baltic birch and Wacky wood from them.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TonyCooper » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:05 pm

BILLYL wrote:Thanks-

I think I found a source but as mentioned above - this stuff is expensive. Will look at the panel idea and the 1/4 luan bending jig that Tony mentione in a previous thread.

BILL

I used 1/4" birch I found at Lowes. If you are going to put in the front cabinet, my way works well as the cabinet base covers the seam completely.

Let me know when you are approaching that part of the work, and I'll supply you with more detail.
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby len19070 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:58 pm

I live just south of Philadelphia, Pa. And I have 2 sources both at about $12 a sheet. Both these sources are old "Mom & Pop" Lumber Yards. You won't find it at a Home Depot/Lowes type operation.

Happy Trails

Len

BTW; Concord Plywood, Chester Pa.
Tegg lumber, Media Pa.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques