axle placement

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

axle placement

Postby mydogegore » Wed May 19, 2004 7:31 am

Hello all, I am new to this forum thing. I am just starting to build and design my teardrop and have a critical question. On a 10ft tear how far back does the axle have to be from the rear-end? Right now the axle is 48 inches from the rear-end and 68 inches from the front. I am told that it can be moved back if need be but it seems like a lot of work. Will 10-15 inches make that big of a difference?

Oh you might be asking why the axle is already inplace? It is because the trailer at one time was some sort of travel trailer until my dad bought it for $40 and ripped the crumbling structure off. Now we are using it to build a new tear.

Thanks for any help you might have to share.
Deadra :D
mydogegore
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BufordT » Wed May 19, 2004 10:04 am

On an 8ft trailer that I have the plans for.

Bill Adkins says that the axle should be 34 1/2" from the back of the trailer and you should be moved forward 6" for each foot.

If my addition is correct that places your axle 46 1/2" from the back of the trailer.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby denverd0n » Wed May 19, 2004 11:05 am

Given that 46-1/2" is the calculated "correct" place for your axle, I'm guessing that 48" will work just fine. You'll just have to be careful about how you load the tear so that it doesn't end up too tail heavy.
denverd0n
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques