Engineered Hardwood Flooring

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Engineered Hardwood Flooring

Postby airdonut41 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:10 pm

Awesome! So no issues with expansion, I take it? I'll have to come up with a way to hide the staples, but that seems pretty tractable (particularly because I can use gravity/weights as a clamp for glue!).
airdonut41
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:50 am

Some mentioned there would be expansion issues; however, I did not have any issues.

The engineered flooring I used was cross-laminations of wood with a top hardwood lamination. Essentially, this engineered flooring is plywood. Therefore, it had the same expansion rates, due to changes in moisture content and/or temperature, as the plywood framing it was attached too.

There are some flooring products that laminate a hardwood layer to fiberboard substrate. Others, like the original Pergo floors, laminate a vinyl or plastic laminate to a fiberboard or dense paper substrate. Because they probably have different expansion rates than plywood, I don't think these products would work.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:34 pm

Some mentioned there would be expansion issues; however, I did not have any issues.

We used it in our house. It doesn't move. That's the beauty of it.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:57 am

There are different types. The ply-core stuff is good, particle core not as good. In Tucson we would leave a 1/2" gap at the walls for expansion from dry season to July-August when humidity was increased quite a bit. In a small trailer, it's not a big deal, but a small gap at the walls would still be a good idea, perhaps 1/8" would be sufficient unless the rain gets in and soaks an area of the floor.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:14 am

I used super cheap, closeout stuff that was in a pile by the door at Home Depot on mine. "Hmm,, that's pretty cheap,think I'll grab a couple of boxes." Then I butted it up pretty close to the walls with a minimal gap, figuring I would have to redo it sometime down the road. 10 years later and no complaints.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby tubularfab » Thu May 06, 2021 11:47 am

I think the Engineering hardwood is a good idea - and am giving it a try. Here is my build thread just to link the topics together: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72891
tubularfab
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wysedav » Thu May 06, 2021 2:12 pm

I did that in my teardrop. Looks great no issues at all other than weight. I'm sure I've posted pictures on this site.

David
wysedav
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques