new insulation

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

new insulation

Postby Chip » Wed May 19, 2004 8:56 pm

I was at Lowes tonight and found an insulation thats an extruded foam of sorts,,and its realllll flexible,,one inch has an R-value of over 4,,a 4x8 sheet is just under 7 bucks for 3/4" might be just the ticket for those tight bends on the top,,,it also is skinned on both sides which gives it a good bit of stability,,,,interesting stuff,,,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Wed May 19, 2004 9:06 pm

Yeah Chip, I used that stuff, I believe it's call R-tech..Really bends well. I used it on the front of the tear. I used three 1/2" layers.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby R Keller » Thu May 20, 2004 12:20 pm

From their website (http://www.premier-industries.com/insulfoam.cfm?topic=rtech). R-Tech is a "film-faced EPS insulation". EPS is expanded polystyrene, as compared to XPS which is extruded polystyrene. I couldn't find out what the "film" is composed of.

EPS consists of "beads" of polystyrene with air gaps in between, whereas XPS has a closed-cell structure. For an equivalent density foam, XPS has a slightly better R-value and a better compressive strength than EPS. Also, XPS will absorb a lot less water than EPS. The protective film on the R-Tech probably reduces that difference though.

As Steve mentions, if you need to bend your insulation, the R-tech is probably a better bet. XPS won't handle too much of a bend (without kerfing it) before it snaps.

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Postby rambo » Mon May 24, 2004 12:19 am

Hi there

What do you think about rock wool as Isolation ?
It's flexible all right but I don't think it's the best if it meet water :twisted:

Rambo
rambo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 24, 2004 1:02 pm

You'll have to tell me more about this rock wool stuff. It's man made stuff, made from recyclable materials, right? That's about all I know...

Whats the R-Value if you put it into a wall 3/4" thick or a ceiling 1 1/2" thick?
How heavy is it?
What happens to it when it gets wet?
What is it like to handle? Can it hurt you?
What happens when you breathe in the fibers?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon May 24, 2004 5:00 pm

Mike,
Rock wool is a mineral product, like spun rock!! Very heavy, as compared to fiberglass. Extremely irritating to the skin. It's typically used in commercial construction as fire-resistant thermal barrier in fire rated walls. I don't think that it absorbs moisture, but does have nooks and crannies to hold the melted.. ...snow... :lol:
I wouldn't use it. Too many bad memories of the early years in construction. :cry:
Hope this helps.
Steve
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby rambo » Sat May 29, 2004 12:31 am

Hello there

About the rock wool, I don't think we have the same thing in mind since the one I'm talking about is very light and flexible.
it usualy use in construction & it's very very irritating to the skin.
But it's covered with thin lyer of aluminum so your skin can't come in contuct unless you really want to.
it's about 2-3 inch thick but can be compressed & very easy to handle, ususly comes in size : 60 x 400 cm.
I never tried to breathe in the fibers, but I don't think it will be fun since it is very irritating, good luck if tou want to...
I don't know about the R-value it's a new term for me. there is a nice photo on it showing the 95% of the heat goes back to the sun...

Maybe I'll take steve word for it any way & will not use it, after all I don't want bad memories from my teard drop, I rather have some bed memories...

Rambo
rambo
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques