AC install

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Arne » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:25 am

Thank you for that iformation, I had not thought of it.... but makes sense, now... will go for the good old cheap version...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Woody » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:10 am

keith,
Would not digital give more control on the tempeture regulation than the old style mechanical thermostat, After all you can preset the temp and forget about it and it makes the adjustment on it own for the outside temp varing vs. a mechanical setup? I used a didgital on mine and it was not really that much extra money or work. And also how high is the air inlets inside above the mattress. I mounted mine in the galley bulkhead and below the cabinets. I find that when the unit is running it blows on you and can be quite cold sometimes. I was wondering about it blowing at the head of the mattress might present the same problem?. Have you tested it or have deflectors directing the air away from blowing on your head?
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:24 pm

Hi Woody,

You're probably right about the digitial control giving you more control. It just takes a lot more work to extend the wiring out five feet so you have the control panel inside the trailer.

As for my trailer I have the air ducted in to the middle foot width of my headboard. If you want less air you can just lay off to one side or the other. If you want more air blowing on you which I prefer you sleep in the center of the trailer. With a five foot wide trailer this isn't a problem with a four foot wide trailer you might not be able to do that.

Norman has his air ducted into the bottom of his front headboard cabinet area. The bottom foot of the cabinet is all hollow. He has two heat/air conditioner vents cut into the top of his headboard, one on each side. He can control the direction of the air flow some and open or close each side off depending on how much air flow inside the trailer is needed.

As for the other three trailers that we are finishing up now none of the cabinets are completed in the front and each person will be working out how they want to regulate the air flow. We will have to see how the progress goes over the next couple of weeks as the complete the front cabinets.

Keith.
Keith
Teardrop Master

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:33 pm

Keith wrote:Hi Arne,

The fitting are 3". On Kevin's we used two holes and it seems to have enough air flow. There is space on the mud pan to put a third hole if we find that we need more air flow.

Keith.

Keith,
Depending on the static pressure a 3" duct will give you about 40-50 cfm. If you are not pulling return air from inside what are you doing about the posotive air pressure you are creating. This might put a lot of stress on that blower motor. Just something to think about, if things start acting up.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:39 pm

We leave one or both of the windows open slightly to avoid that problem. It allows for the air flow and it isn't enough air loss to make any difference in the air conditioners ability to keep it cool.

Keith.
Keith
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques