Singin the Gas Shocks Boogie - New Pics

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby jmtk » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:31 am

Heikki,

Here are a couple more pics for you to ponder. I used Sonetpro's installation as the basis for how to put mine in. Here's the diagram he made that I used: http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=121099&highlight=struts#121099
Don't give up on the gas struts yet. They work great! Once you get it right you'll be glad you persevered. It just takes a gentle tug to get the hatch to start opening and then the struts do the rest and magically push it fully open. Camping with a young child, I also like the safety factor. I don't have to worry about props getting knocked out by strong wind gusts lifting the hatch or people bumping them.

Jeanette

jmtk
Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:44 am

Jeanette

Thank you for the photos and info as well. How many pounds are them good for?

That tear of yours sure looks very nice. :applause: :applause: Thats what was worrying me since weve also got a 3 year old and he is very active which of course is normal.. :lol: :lol: And I looked at our hatch and thought many times if it came down and he was under there or anyone else for that matter it could cause harm.

The funny thing is that I even told this company what the size of the hatch is and weight. And I received too small of gas shocks to begin with. UGH.

But ok now I seem to have the correct ones this time and I just need to install them correctly .. then go back and fix holes in the Mahogany.
Thats what hurt me the most but ok new mahogany in that area or maybe even somthing bit different for that section.

Im having coffee at the moment but going out to istall shock number 2 and we,ll hopefully have it working properly.

I,ll keep you posted. :thumbsup: ;)

Ohh by the way its so nice to hear from you :)

Classic Finn :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby tonyj » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:26 am

Tripmaker wrote:Looks like you need to reverse your mounting points. Mount the lower end, attached to the galley walls closer to the hinge, and the mount attached to the hatch further from the hinge. I used starwheel supports so lifting it is by the armstrong method. But with gas struts this configuration requires less effort to lift the hatch.

When you close the hatch the support rotates downward. Mounted vertically like you have it you are limited to lowering the hatch to the closed length of the cylinder.

This is one of those areas that generates two opinions on mounting, as well as rod up or rod down. Both mounting positions work (as well as rod up, rod down).
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:38 am

Well you folks want to write a second chorus for the Gas Shock Blues? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Another problem is at hand...opened the box and :? :? :shock: :shock:

Ok weve got the correct Newtons or Force on the shocks however they are shorter in length by far.. with 2 brackets containing eyelets that get mounted to a bracket that I dont have for these ..

Is short good or bad again no clue. And I specified same length and all.
I drove 20 Kilometers one way just to find this set up. They dont work on the previous brackets as I show in my photos. the end pieces screw on or off however have flat ends with a hole on each end..

How on earth is this mounted now :thinking: :thinking: :oops: And is this good that its short? And where can this be mounted on the hatch?Or is this bad again? On these the ends screw of but dont fit the previous ball brackets due to to the diameter of the smaller section or piston rod on the shock.

Am I having fun yet... :x Now Im really confused as what to do. Here is a pic of how short these are now in comparison to the previous. :shock: Even though the force of them is correct..

Classic Finn :thinking:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:08 pm

I may have found brackets for these however Im worried sick as to how close to the hinge it should be installed now? Especially since its that short however with the correct power in it. And in general will it work on this?

There is another place where I,ll go nearby that has gas shocks and brackets. I,ll try to find longer shocks or?

Classic Finn

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby looped » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:16 pm

what about a junk yard? im sure the lifts from a honda crx or a 87 accord hb will work,, they are also uber long.. just an idea
"face it man. It's just not possible to fry an egg with a bicycle powered hairdryer!"
- Dave Lister
looped
The 300 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:05 pm

I,ll come up with somthing.. but I cant understand how a short shock as is will hold up the hatch of ours even though its for the right weight..

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Micro469 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:18 pm

Heikki, I went to an RV dealer and ordered my shocks @120 Lbs each. And I got the longer ones. They are available.....You just have to find them... :roll: ...Remember....Teardrop Time...... :thumbsup:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Sonetpro » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:42 pm

Heikki,
Here is a link to the MFG's website. There is a link on the page for spec's. You can tell from the part # on the strut all of the spec's as far as length,stroke ,ends and how strong they are. Maybe you need to pick out what you need from there and give the part# to your supplier. He would be sure to get it right then.

http://www.camloc.com/product.asp?id=1
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:29 am

Good Morning Steve and John and. :lol: :lol:

Ive been on that site and they are located in England. Im calling them later today.

Im going to take a ride over to an other place nearby that may possibly have them.. :?

What a chore this is ;) Living on Exceeding Teardrop Time.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:12 am

Steve and John what is the length of the ones you have.

I also called to England and I found the proper 1 I need except with a delivery time of 3 weeks :cry:

Im going to an auto parts store to look also. as was mentioned.

Grandma where B them 2 brooms you have. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:54 am

Well my son and I just got back from another Gas Shock distributor near by and we came home with 2 different sets of shocks..

1 set at 400 Newtons and other with 500 Newtons.

Plus we have the brackets.. so out we go to give these a test.. length is almost same as what we had in the very beginning.

You should see, I have an entire collection of shocks on the floor here. What the heck, here,s a photo for you. :lol: :lol:

Newtons & More Newtons :rofl2: from 170, 400, 450 & 500.

This is getting interesting but "Persistence" on this is definitely a plus :lol: :Oh Brother: :scratchthinking:

Also this place we found t handles & locks for doors almost same as ones on the doors of our tear now.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby tonyj » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:28 am

Opening up your own gas strut distributorship?

Those new brackets look like they will be more adaptable. Wish I could have found those. And I think your original length (and the newest ones) are the right ones to use.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:44 am

Tony Tony and Others

Houston we are almost ready to launch :lol: :lol: :lol:

500 Newtons and new brackets... ;)

We,ll have pics in a bit. Now to adjust the hatch to be open higher.. it sits at the height of my forehead right now..and I dont want headaches from bumping in to it.. 8) 8)

Schock Shop.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:53 am

DO YOU STILL LUV DA PICS ?:twisted: :twisted: :R :R
Classic Finn and Finn Voyager Crew

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager