Singin the Gas Shocks Boogie - New Pics

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:08 pm

:beautiful: :phew: :P :clapping hands: I sure hope you have a camping trip planned soon. Summer is about over :thumbsup:

btw---can you come over and do mine next? And can I get a picture of the end brackets on yours?

Good Job Heikki and Finn Young man. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bve » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:52 pm

Sure glad you got this sorted out, I have been watching this thread closely since the idea of figuring out the strut placement has me a bit troubled too.

Now that I've followed this on your build when the time comes for me I will certainly be referencing this thread.

Something which came to mind with your last batch of photos was the idea of using a temporary half inch plywood insert (shaped to match the galley wall) between the lower strut mount and the galley wall for testing the location mount points.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby Tripmaker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:34 am

Was off my email and just caught up with this post. After 200 opinions, all different, you got the job done, and the important thing is it works. :applause: :applause: :applause:

BTW The rest of your tear looks fantastic. Very nice work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:45 pm

Miriam C. wrote::beautiful: :phew: :P :clapping hands: I sure hope you have a camping trip planned soon. Summer is about over :thumbsup:

btw---can you come over and do mine next? And can I get a picture of the end brackets on yours?

Good Job Heikki and Finn Young man. ;)

Sure I,ll come over and install yours as well.

Here Auntie M.

Here is a pic of the shocks I used and the Brackets Top and Bottom

Notice the way the Top Bracket is now installed.
I,ll get some more pics now that they are on shortly.

Hope this helps or gives some ideas for others as well. This is only my way of installing them but they work real well. Might need a slight adjustment but for now Im leaving them since they work. What I mean by adjustment is that Id like the hatch to open just a bit higher.

Must admit.. I measured them as our friend Tony showed in his photos then bingo I must also admit they work exactly. :lol: :lol: 1st try after attempting the 170 Newton (bad choice) shocks several times and Sonetpro mentioned they are certainly too weak. Lessons learned. And persistence is the magic word so Ive personally found out in this entire build. 8) 8)

So 6 inches from hinge on top and 3 inches for bottom brackets 1st then added 2 more inches to get proper height so you dont hit your head on the bottom. And install BINGO :)

Classic Finn ;) :D
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:03 pm

Tripmaker wrote:Was off my email and just caught up with this post. After 200 opinions, all different, you got the job done, and the important thing is it works. :applause: :applause: :applause:

BTW The rest of your tear looks fantastic. Very nice work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I did study all options and advice trust me. And twice or 3 times. However
I did get it installed and they work.. Guess What ? Im Veeeeeerry Happy :D :D Yup I got it done. :phew:

Thank You for the nice compliment. :) :)

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:09 pm

bve wrote:Sure glad you got this sorted out, I have been watching this thread closely since the idea of figuring out the strut placement has me a bit troubled too.

Now that I've followed this on your build when the time comes for me I will certainly be referencing this thread.

Something which came to mind with your last batch of photos was the idea of using a temporary half inch plywood insert (shaped to match the galley wall) between the lower strut mount and the galley wall for testing the location mount points.

Well Hi there stranger. :lol: The thing I guess to be honest is dare to try..as I found out. Neighbors here are not too willing to come and help.
Strange Culture we live in. They all stand on there patios or look thru the windows of their living rooms or I see the shades being lifted as if I dont notice but help they dont that often. :lol: :lol: :lol: They are curious as H to see what your doing but thats it. Nosy neighbors. :lol: :lol:

So courage to try somthing even though youve never done it is a key word. People can advise but to put the advice in to use is done by you or in this case myself. However the advice is helpful and makes my ol brain turn.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: But finally its done and so far so good. Best of all I did it myslef and son assisting.

If I can help others with this Im very pleased.

Nice to hear from you,

Best regards Classic Finn :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby PaulC » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:19 pm

Congrats Heikki, I knew you could do it 8)

Cheers
Paul
PS Sorry I didn't have a lot of input on this :(
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Mstro » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:22 pm

Been watching this thread and hoping you would find a solution :worship:

couldn't be of much help as this is new to me also :thinking:

Congratulation on finding a fix :applause: :applause:
Marc

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream by night."
Mstro
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:09 pm

Betsey wrote:

Hope this helps,

You betcha :thumbsup:
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques