Top to teardrop

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Hoosier Greg » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:19 pm

The glue I plan to use on my build is what we use on comercial buildings .

I don't expect any failures out of it.
U.S Industries is the maker. C1016T Neoprene bonding Adhesive..

A roofing Contractor will most likely have a remnant piece for not more than few dollars .The Adhesive can be bought for the price of a good gallon of paint.. Better way to go than just mere paint on the roof.IMO.

Greg.
Hoosier Greg
Teardrop Master

Postby mechmagcn » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:36 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:
mechmagcn wrote:Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but I have seen very little that will stick to an EPDM rubber membrane. Another consideration, if any solvents are used, the membrane will fail, I have replaced several where folks have rolled on a topcoat of sealer the was solvent based and the membrane just fell apart.
If you use the EPDM, only use the suggested glue, a water based product, and I only use the Dicor lap sealant for any seams and to seal around trim.
The EPDM rubber membrane is some great stuff if used and cared for properly, but the application of the wrong cleaners or other chemicals can ruin it quickly.
I'm not trying to scare anyone away from this product, just giving a heads-up before mistakes are made.

I have also heard that this must be applied to un-treated and unsealed wood. In your experience, is this correct?

Yes, the adhesive is water based and if applied to sealed or painted wood, it will never cure.
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques