To Annodize Aluminum Or Not

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

To Annodize Aluminum Or Not

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:17 pm

I'm told the annodized aluminum is much more durable and rugged than non-annodized. Is this a marketing ploy or the real scoop? I'm not a metalalurgist (sp?) so don't even know what the annodizing process is. :cry:
Thx, Rob
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:08 pm

Rob,
Anodized aluminum does have a pretty durable finish.
It is achieved by dipping the aluminum in a chemical solution while the aluminum itself has electricity flowing through it, via elctrodes attached on each end of the aluminum.
I'm not an electrical guru, so I'm sure someone else can better explain the process.
I work with anodized aluminum quite a bit.
Like I say, it does have a durable finish that stands up pretty good to the weather.
It does scratch fairly easy, so depending on the color of anodizing, scratches could really stand out.
I doubt that the anodizing would be compromised with the bending needed to match the ellipse of the body profile.
Depending on the thickness of the aluminum, the finish may get compromised a bit on real tight radius'. (Test it first)
It will be compromised if broke (bent) in a sheetmetal brake.
If you decide to go this route, take great care not to scratch it during fabrication and installation.
I have had to send off some stuff for anodizing after I've done my fabrication work. (That adds time and cost to the project)
Most anodized aluminum comes with a protective film over the finished surface, that will help keep it "clean" during the building process.

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques