Welding vs Bolting

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby angib » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:07 am

Larwyn wrote:But for convincing a steel frame member to move into square or flat or to move a framing member that 1/64th of an inch nothing can beat a few pounds of steel on a hickory handle......

Having spent my early working life in shipyards, I was trained to think that "a few pounds of steel on a hickory handle" would be ideal for dressmaking, flower arranging and similar projects. :lol:

For more serious work, 'many pounds of steel' is more useful and I used to think that a 14lb hammer was small and a 28lb hammer was big. Then I worked in a yard that had some 56lb hammers - you had to swing them between your legs, as if you were a young lady playing croquet! They were called 'Mondays' though no-one could tell me why - my assumption that they enabled you "to knock things into next week" could not be confirmed.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:21 am

angib wrote:
Larwyn wrote:But for convincing a steel frame member to move into square or flat or to move a framing member that 1/64th of an inch nothing can beat a few pounds of steel on a hickory handle......

Having spent my early working life in shipyards, I was trained to think that "a few pounds of steel on a hickory handle" would be ideal for dressmaking, flower arranging and similar projects. :lol:

For more serious work, 'many pounds of steel' is more useful and I used to think that a 14lb hammer was small and a 28lb hammer was big. Then I worked in a yard that had some 56lb hammers - you had to swing them between your legs, as if you were a young lady playing croquet! They were called 'Mondays' though no-one could tell me why - my assumption that they enabled you "to knock things into next week" could not be confirmed.

Andrew

Andrew,

I still call my 14 pound hammer the "Tapper" and a 3lb the "Tweaker", but over the years that 14 pounds does seem heavier somehow.... :)

I tend to agree with your asumption on the 56lb Monday. That one could knock things into next Monday, even if today were Monday.... :lol:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby SteveH » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:29 pm

I used to work at a place that did a lot of tower work, or aerial steel work. They did not know what a hammer was, as they were called "beaters". Little beaters and big beaters. :lol:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby angib » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:45 pm

SteveH wrote:They did not know what a hammer was, as they were called "beaters". Little beaters and big beaters.

Oh! You mean 'fine adjusters' and 'coarse adjusters'......

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:43 pm

Just hand me the BFH and I'll make anything fit.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:06 pm

A good idea would be to upgrade the bolts to a harder one. Grade 8 is going to be costly. I don't know what is supplied, but you could probably get by with grade 5's I would also not just rely on a lock washer. I would definitely use red lock-tite also. Also periodically check tightness. It is a lot easier in the driveway rather than on the road. Just my thoughts on it. Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby gardenwood » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:48 pm

Ahhh, the BFH. We have one that lives in the storage shed. Was invaluable in moving our "custom" base cabinet into place in the dining area. Took very little caulk once it was in place.

Lois
gardenwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:47 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Tom,
If you are considering LockTite, just be sure to use the right one.
I believe the red stuff is for perminate apps. and the blue is non perminate apps.
If I was going to bolt the frame together, I think I'd be inclined to go with NyLock Nuts instead.

To make it even more confusing, the blue stuff comes in red bottles. :? Nylocks are a good idea.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:51 am

angib wrote: They were called 'Mondays' though no-one could tell me why - my assumption that they enabled you "to knock things into next week" could not be confirmed.

Andrew

Do you think they were called Mondays because they were typically used on Monday to fix the things that were hastily put together on Friday? When we have a machine at work that has chronic problems we say, "That one must have been biult on a Friday."
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Keith B » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:31 pm

Rickxr2... WOW... $400 for a custom trailer without paint is great... where is this guy... I'd pay that in a heart-beat for a welded trailer and all the accessories.
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby dhazard » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:43 pm

Hi Keith, Trying not to burst your bubble, but this tread is almost 2 years old and the price of steel has gone up some… :(
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:22 am

DHAZARD wrote:Hi Keith, Trying not to burst your bubble, but this tread is almost 2 years old and the price of steel has gone up some… :(

No doubt!! I know where to get the best price on steel and I build my own and I can't do one from new materials for 4 bucks!!
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Gaston » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:24 pm

bolts are a wonderful invention for attaching objects to each other in a manner that allows easy disassembly.
Welds are a quick way to ensure the objects attached together don't disassemble.
SO if you don't want to your trailer to be un-screwed, weld it. Remember
the bolt you don't put in can't fall out :thinking:
The difficult we do now... the impossible takes a little longer
Gaston
Donating Member

Postby Lot5studio » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:17 pm

where are you seeing it for 450???? their site says 629.
http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowTrailer.asp?id=6

TomS wrote:
mikeschn wrote:
SteveH wrote:All of the Harbour Freight trailer frames are bolted, and yes, I believe they are cheaper.

The 5x8 red trailer certainly would have been cheaper than the route I went. But then again, it doesn't have a torsion axle, and those fancy star wheels that I've been drooling over for 2 years!!! It's all in what you want I guess!

Here's the link that Tom found for red trailers!!!
http://www.redtrailers.com/Trailers.asp

Mike...

I'll be odering my 5 x 8 RedTrailer at the end of the week. I just noticed the the price has dropped to $450. It was $500 when I first spotted them a few weeks ago.

I haven't decided if I'll drive to PA to pick it up or spend the $90 to have it shipped. By the time I spend the $$ on gas and tolls, I won't be saving much. However, I am feeling the effects of cabin fever. A road trip might be nice.
Lot5studio
Teardrop Inspector

Postby luluxiu » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:42 pm

If you use the correct type of bolts, they are strong, welding, twisting and bending of the bolt to allow the framework. There are a lot of running around Hong Kong Freight frame built Cubbys.
luluxiu
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques