Durablility of plastic fenders

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Durablility of plastic fenders

Postby Southern Oregon Bob » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:12 pm

I'm considering the large Kin-skill plastic reproductions fenders for my TD but I read somewhere on this site that they brake real easy. Are there different qualities out there? Are they out of the question for off road use. They are alot of money If you have to replace them very often. Bob
Southern Oregon Bob
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:09 am

I assuming that you are talking about fiberglass reproduction fenders. I had originals on my first tear a 1949, and got repro fenders for the trailer that I am building now. They are way heavier duty, need to think through mounting them up to the trailer, can't cut any corners, and get plenty of support. They are not meant to be a step. My original trailer was beat up from kids going over the fence at the previous owners yard and using the fender for a step. I think if you want off road use, they might be a little chancy. Being fiberglass, they are liable to get star cracks in the exterior of the fender from rocks being thrown against the interior. Also scraping against a tree, rock or whatever is going to be a lot harder on it rather than on a steel one. Whole different look to the fenders though. You can straighten a steel fender with a hammer, a glass one takes a whole lot more time, but I wouldn't replace one, unless it was totally trashed, just do the body work on it. Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby purplepickup » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:37 am

I run fiberglass fenders on my purplepickup and like Doug said they will get stars on the top from stones coming off your tires and hitting them on the bottom side. The stars are where the gelcoat on the topside has cracked in a star shape. This can be avoided by adding padding of some sort to the underside. I glued some rubber type matting into mine. Some people have had them sprayed inside with that thick bedliner material with good luck. As far as durability goes, I like the fact that they can take a pretty good bump before they break. The same bump would definitely dent a metal fender of the same style.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby Southern Oregon Bob » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:55 am

Thanks. Yes I was talking about the fiberglass. I wonder if several coats of that rubber undercoating you can buy in a can in autoparts stores would work. I was considering that for the underside of the TD as well but I don't know how well it sticks to wood or if I would need a primer first? :thinking:
Southern Oregon Bob
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:38 am

I dunno??? Check out what the can says... I've got a buddy that says I can shoot rhino liner right onto the fiberglass. I guess we'll find out. I'm strictly a pavement user however. Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby SteveH » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:14 am

I've got a buddy that says I can shoot rhino liner right onto the fiberglass

Doug,

Yes, you can. Rhino Liner is basically urethane like is used to seal and mount windshields in cars. It will stick to anything.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques