AC--- Is this do-able?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby KevinS » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:47 pm

I'm following this thread with great interest, as I will have to install some type of A/C in my little teardrop by Springtime.

:)

One thing that is bugging me, the undrained water that collects in the bottom pan of the A/C will still be there when it's time to move on. Road bumps will shake that water all over the inside of the trailer, or is that not a problem?

:thinking:
KevinS
Donating Member

Postby john » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:24 pm

I lift up on the tongue and the water runs out the drain in the back of the AC and down an attached tube and finally drips to the ground.

In use I forget to do the lift thing but I haven't had a problem. If the trailer is flat the drain is at a low point.

One thing to add is that there is often no water to drain on my AC. It is set up so that the condenser fan splashes the water on the condenser to help aid the cooling. This keeps the water at a minimum. It is rare that it drips water at all.

8)
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby caseydog » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:59 pm

KevinS wrote:I'm following this thread with great interest, as I will have to install some type of A/C in my little teardrop by Springtime.

One thing that is bugging me, the undrained water that collects in the bottom pan of the A/C will still be there when it's time to move on. Road bumps will shake that water all over the inside of the trailer, or is that not a problem?

:thinking:

I just ran some clear tubing off the drain to the outside.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Elumia » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:28 pm

When you say you can't justify the price difference between a pet cool and modifying a window shaker I think you might want to have a closer look at the options:

Pet cool, tried and true - many have done successfully, lots of examples. Makes a neat clean install.
Pet cool More $, labor less to install

Window shaker, way less expensive, must modify to meet you requirements. More costly installation, more to possibly go wrong, much more time consuming. More "permanent". May not work as well.

When you compare all the costs, you may find they are closer in price than you think.

Other things that might weight your decision:
do you always need to have A/C with you? Which is easier to leave behind?

Do you need the extra BTU's a window shaker provides?

what are the power requirements for either option? Will you have to run the A/C from a generator, what size generator would each require?

Do you need heat? Pet cool also can heat.

Sometimes the lowest cost part isn't most economical way to build.

Price both ways out completely and then make your final decision.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby caseydog » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:55 pm

Elumia wrote:Do you need the extra BTU's a window shaker provides?

That's the big question. Here in Texas, the Pet Cool doesn't deliver when it is really hot and humid.

However, if you mostly camp in cooler climates than Texas, then the pet cool is a viable option. And, yes, then it may be worth the money not to rig up something that might not work.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:18 pm

KevinS wrote:I'm following this thread with great interest, as I will have to install some type of A/C in my little teardrop by Springtime.

Even though we never hooked up, I did see your trailer at LCG.

Even with #2 in the planning stages, I'm not getting rid of "Itty-Bitty" and I plan on adding A/C to it as well. Since "Itty-Bitty" only has one door but a window on each side, I'm just going to remove the window on the non-door side and fabricate a flip down support system to hold the unit while set-up. It means carrying the A/C unit in the trailer or tow vehicle while traveling and setting it place when I get to destination. Seeing that "Itty-Bitty" is going to end up as a secondary trailer, I can live with that option. Besides, I'm stripping the windows out of "Itty-Bitty" to use on #2 and will replace them with something else!! 8)

:P I just won two 15x37 horizontal sliders w/ screens on e-Bay at $15.50 each. One is definitely going in #2. If I can retrofit the other one across the front of "Itty-Bitty" I won't mind losing a window on the side.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby tinksdad » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:47 pm

Elumia wrote:When you say you can't justify the price difference between a pet cool and modifying a window shaker I think you might want to have a closer look at the options:

Price both ways out completely and then make your final decision.

Mark

I haven't totally ruled out a PetCool, I am still considering it based on available space for installation and ducting. Taking in to fact that tonights low is supposed to be 22 degrees, the PetCool definitely would have it's advantages. Even though I doubt it, I am planning this one as my last build before I retire. I am trying to design everything in that I may need to go "full time" teardropping for 2 -3 (maybe 4 years) before I settle down and build a Tumbleweeds style home.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby bravebear » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:13 pm

What happens to the condensation that drips out the botton?
bravebear
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques