Trailer for Two plans

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Trailer for Two plans

Postby Jimbo » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:11 pm

I know the Cubby is the most popular home built design but has anyone ever constructed a TD from the original 1947 Mechanix Ill. article, using all of the materials and methods described? With the exception of the Asbestos, I think it would be pretty cool. Including even the trailer. If so, please share some photos.
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby San Diegan » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:31 pm

The same folks that offer plans for the Cubby have plans for
The 10' Comet is a re-make of the 1947 Trailer for Two from Mechanix Illustrated. It is a fully-appointed teardrop with all the amenities that you'd expect from an upper-tier trailer. Fully insulated walls, floor and ceiling, Two doors with operable windows, roof fan and vent, off road suspension, complete lighting system, a galley that includes a built-in icebox, electric water system with 12-gallon tank, roll-out stove, a space for a 4-seater picnic table and benches (with umbrella), plenty of food and utensil storage, all enclosed in heirloom-quality cabinets that put the ones in your kitchen to shame. To top it off, a hatch in the floor lifts up to fit an electric chemical toilet for handy "pit stops" while traveling. No more trying to find a gas station!

Go to http://www.kuffelcreek.com/10'_trailer.htm and have a look. The proprietor and implementer, Kevin, is an ultilmately decent guy. If you want to build one of these, the plans are well worth the money.

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby David Grason » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:51 pm

By today's standards, if someone were to follow the 1947 plans to the letter, the end result would not be especially pretty or even of a very good quality. For example, the exterior covering I believe is Masonite. Who wants that? Also, notice that there is no insulation called for, there is no detail showing the rear door hinge, no wiring harness, a bare 110v light bulb for interior lighting, a frame made of angle iron, etc. There is an amazing number of problems that need solving and are never mentioned in the article. With my Comet, I'm striving to maintain the "look" of the 1947 article but I want a much better quality product.

Maybe I'll build one just for the ultimate in "retro" show in the future, but I won't do any serious camping in it because it would be way to uncomfortable and wouldn't hold up to any kind of abuse at all.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:37 pm

I agree with Dave. The trailer built in that article was 48 years ago. If you wanted to build an authentic trailer strictly for competition in shows, go for it. For me.... If I am going to put that much effort into it, I want to make it usable for me in 2005. Being a boat builder also, you have to really want the vintage look, experience, headache etc... There have been so many advances in adhesives, insulation, finishes, materials since then. If I am going to drop the coin on building something like a mohogany boat or a tear, I want it usable. I owned a vintage tear. It was cool, got lots of looks, but wasn't as practical as I wanted. I would suggest, build one that you want to use, and then build one by the old school method for shows. I've got a good idea on which one you will use the most. Just my opinion. My favorite experience was going out with someone with an original wood boat that had a hull that needed to be swelled. It wasn't done enough and took on water like a seive. I was using mine from the get go. He spent most the day working on his bilge pump..... Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Ross Wade » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:58 am

I built our teardrop using the Mechanix Illustrated as a strong guide. The cabinet layout is real close to the original layout. Door placement's the same. We did insulate and added additional lighting, however we do not have shore power hookup.

Ross
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dovetail28643/my_photos
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby David Grason » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:52 pm

I will say this. I think the Trailer for Two has some of the sweetest lines of any of the teardrops around. That's the biggest reason I went with the Kufflel Creek plans. I just love the look of it. Ross, your's is looking WAY cool. The big doors look GREAT! I didn't make them that big but I'm gonna make them even bigger on the next one. I spent a lot of time making sure that my curvature was just right. I didn't want to build a tear that had those sweet lines spoiled.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby benjamin » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:09 pm

I have started with my own plans how ever the trailer for 2 had a big influence on it. I obtained a set of plans for this trailer about 8 years ago. I hadn’t done much with them other than redraw the kitchenette about 400 times. I fell for it as it has matching lines and curves for my vintage car. As to the curves and the over all body lines I agree it is one of the nicest I have seen. Now I agree I have been through my plans 100 times and it is flawed and it is a flowed design through and through starting with the frame and moving up. My plan is to only use the plans I have as a guide for the over all look but even with that I have had to modify the over all curve to the shape that best fits the look I want.
Pop ups are good (99 Coleman) But Tear drops are better!
The trees are talking are you listening?
benjamin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jimbo » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:17 pm

I am giving some serious thought to doing a trailer from the plans (once I finish my current one). Sticking to them as much as possible, only eliminating the obvious (Asbestos) health and safety risks. Even down to stick welding the frame together as in the original plans. I think the experience would be great. I consider that period to be one of the greatest periods in U.S. history. Our solders we coming back from war overseas and America enginuity was at it's highest. The Interstate system was being built and as a result, the country was becoming more mobile. I thought that building it might be a way to touch that period in time. I just sold the idea to my wife who loves it. Still not sure about doing it but I am kind of kicking it around. Would love to see any links that anyone might have of the original builds.
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques